Sunday, August 08, 2021

Sick with worry

 Today is Anthony Rizzo's 32nd birthday, but that's not why he's in the news. 

Here's a link to the USA Today article

Rizz declined the vaccine in June. I have been worried about this since June. His new manager, Aaron Boone, said he's "achy and has mild symptoms."

I was vaccinated the moment I was able. Back in April. So clearly I don't agree with his decision.

Even if he recovers quickly and completely, he will miss 10 games. Including those against division rivals Boston Red Sox. 10 games of the remaining 50, when his team is battling for a playoff spot.

So in addition to putting his health in jeopardy -- he's a cancer survivor! -- he's putting his career in jeopardy. When this season ends, his contract is up. He's made public comments that he'd like to stay in New York. How likely are they to sign him if he crippled their playoff hopes?

And that's if he's OK ... I had covid. I was sick for six weeks. Of course, I'm a fat, out-of-shape old lady and he's an athlete in peak condition.

But he hasn't been vaccinated. If I wasn't so worried about him, I'd want to wring his stubborn, uninformed neck.

He matters to me!

 



3 comments:

  1. Oh no!!!! Is he an anti-vaxxer or was there a medical reason, cancer related?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's never discouraged anyone from getting the vaccination -- in fact, he sent hot lunches to the Lurie Childrens Hospital workers who were giving the shots last spring. But it bothered him that it wasn't approved yet. I'm so mad at him I can't stand it. This single decision could cast a wide and long shadow over the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother finally got his first shot Friday. I was so relieved. I can see why you're upset with your guy over this. He casts a long shadow just not over his career, but also because he influences a lot of people, whether he wants to or not. I hope he will be ok.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.