Saturday, January 17, 2009

This was supposed to help. It didn't.

My art director/partner came by my office yesterday. I asked her to, actually, because I wanted her to get off the dime and finish a project we have been working on since before Christmas. Because it doesn't have a hard and fast due date yet, she's been content to let it sit so she can spend her days shopping online and texting her much-younger boyfriend. Because I believe layoffs are imminent, I'm not as content. I want it known that I care about my client, and she's not going to drag me down. I told her that.

She changed the subject. I'm taking Tuesday off as a vacation day. Since we have Dr. King's birthday off Monday, that gives me a four-day weekend. She wanted to know what my "big plans" are.

My "big plan" is to watch my Senator, Chicago's own Barack Obama, inaugurated. It's history. I can't be there in person, but I can watch it live from my living room. This is very, very important to me.

This bothers my art director. I should go out more. I should get a man. She's willing to help.

I told her not to give it another thought, as all the age appropriate men are married or gay. I meant this as levity, hoping to get her off the subject and out of my office.

I wasn't so lucky.

She went on to tell me that all I need is a makeover and I could score a younger man. I have nice enough skin to get someone younger, she tells me, and I have "a good personality." After all, I'm "very funny." All I need is the confidence that would come from the right clothes, makeup and hair. She is willing to help.

I don't know why she thinks this will cheer me up. I think I am rather honest in my self-assessment. It doesn't help to HEAR that all that's wrong with how I look.

She doesn't know me as well as she thinks she does, so she can't know how much not being pretty hurts. I'm not ugly, I don't scare dogs or children, I'm just not pretty. I know it, and it's always hurt. Because I'm smart and reasonably accomplished, it's not supposed to hurt, but it does.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry. But she was an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still on this kick....I hate it when people nosily inquire about my "big plans"...Did you tell her that being an insensitive and pompous ass has not helped her looks at all?
    Actually, she sounds a bit jealous of you.
    Just sayin'....

    OK. I'll stop saying ass now.
    But it felt good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't improve on what Mimi said. She is a jerk. And not a very bright or sensitive jerk either. My money is on you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:38 PM

    oh my gosh....i can not believe someone would say those things...it is so uncalled for!!! as my mama use to say...tell her to go piss up a rope!!!
    God made you in his image...and God does not make trash....some folks do act like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.M.G. what a Snarky bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everybody! It truly never occurred to me, until I read these comments, that she was being a "snarky, trashy, insensitive ass-jerk-bitch." She poked me where I'm sensitive, and I'm just always willing to believe the worst when it comes to that. Whether she was intentionally exploiting my insecurity or not isn't the point. I have to buck up, get my personal priorities in order and not be so superficial. Then it wouldn't be so easy for a "snarky, trashy, insensitive ass-jerk-bitch" to hurt me.

    I wouldn't have had this insight without your input. Which has to be objective because none of you has ever SEEN me. So this turned out be a positive experience after all, huh?

    Isn't blogging great?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.