Friday, September 05, 2008

It's review time

My boss came into my office this afternoon, sat down, and started to discuss one of my coworkers with me. The one I work the most closely with. The one who gives me agita.

This month we're all being evaluated by peers and subordinates alike. The results go to our supervisors, who add their own observations and it turns into our annual reviews. Her peer reviews are coming in, and they aren't very complimentary.

"She doesn't push herself, and people think she doesn't care."

That's true. He knows it, I know it, and if she were honest, she'd admit it herself. It makes me sad, though, because strange as it seems, this job is important to her. She was divorced not that long ago and just bought her first place on her own, so the paycheck is vital. Our agency is quite famous and even though our account is far from glam, she enjoys the cachet.

She's going to be very upset by this.

My boss and I discussed it and it might be better to split us up for the next project. I can be very Type A when I work, and her lackadaisical appearance might be a response to that. I mean, if the writer (me) is passionate and opinionated, the graphic designer (her) might lay back a bit to keep the mood level. Maybe if she works with someone else, she will appear more involved.

I hope so, but I don't think so.

As unpleasant as this is, it's necessary. This is business and we have an obligation to give our clients a good product.

I'm sorry I know all this and wish I could stop thinking about it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I hate review time. We had our "mid year appraisals" (supposedly just to make sure we're on the right track to meet our goals etc at the end of the year) and I just hate it. I was actually a tad worried this time - we've gone through so many changes the past six months - but I got a good review. Whew!

    The ones I really, really hate though are the yearly evaluations, where we have to evaluate ourselves first, then the boss gives us his evaluation. It's always a little demoralizing to have the boss tell you "Well, you aren't as good as you think you are in this area ... or this one ... or ... " Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart is too big, gal.

    It's time your coworker take responsibility for her work ethic and her attitude. Her mediocrity is not yours to take on, so don't let it wear on you. Maybe this will be what she needs to help her pull it together. As harsh as it is, this could be a blessing.

    You are a good person. Sometimes I feel so dirty and mean when I read your blog, because I see the person I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, BOOKMAMA, we had to do self evaluations, too. I rated myself as "Meeting Expectations" on everything. I figure if I wasn't "meeting expectations," my boss would have flagged it to me by now. It's the "Goals and Objectives" part I hate. First of all, I don't want to be promoted. I have been a creative director with hiring/firing responsibilities and HATED it!!! Secondly, my agency is not doing so well right now and I don't believe there's a CD position for me if I wanted it. So that part of my review will be pure fiction and a waste of my time and my boss'.

    CUPCAKE, that was a very humbling comment. Esp. from someone who teaches Geniuses and is raising her own brood. Thanks, and I only wish I was that good!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.