Saturday, September 06, 2008

Oh, for pity's sake!

My friend Kathy is on my mind, and on my nerves.

She has had a very, very rough summer
-- at 61, when we all hope to be thinking of retirement, she lost her apartment, had to give up her cats, is unemployed and unable to afford health insurance. Even worse, she moved in with her daughter's family who were looking at foreclosure and bankruptcy after Labor Day! I have been terribly worried about Kathy.

Labor Day has come and gone and I still haven't heard from her. Did her son-in-law figure out how to keep their home? Can she continue to stay with them after all? When I had breakfast with her in late June, she had gotten a part-time job at a small newspaper in her daughter's community. Has she scraped up enough money to get her own apartment … and get her cats back? I want to know!

As my best friend likes to say, "The Gal worries."

Well, Kathy won't tell me over the phone or by email. She says it's easier to discuss face to face and is sending hugs my way.

I don't want HUGS. I want a PHONE CALL. I want INFORMATION!

I suspect this can't be good news because she didn't suggest a time for us to get together to talk face to face.

However something completely unrelated is making me very, very happy right now. I'm afraid to comment on it for fear of jinxing it …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.