Thursday, January 08, 2009

Happy Birthday, Your Highness


“It was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody’s ear, and somehow we all dreamed it.” Bruce Springsteen

“When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody, and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.”
Bob Dylan

“Before Elvis, there was nothing.”
John Lennon


Elvis is a truly great vocalist, and you can hear why on this song. His phrasing, his use of echo, it's all so beautiful. It's the way he sings it, too. As if he's singing it from the depths of Hell. It's a perfect example of a singer being in command of the song. Paul McCartney on Heartbreak Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.