Friday, October 09, 2026

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: Big Girls Don't Cry (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When is the last time you shed a tear? When I dropped my girlcat off for surgery. She didn't feel good and she didn't understand and I couldn't explain. You people with actual human children: I don't know how you do it!

2) Lyricist/producer Bob Crewe recalled he got the idea for this song while watching a movie on TV. "Big girls don't cry" was a line from the 1956 film Slightly Scarlet. Give us a quote from another movie. 

Her first line on-screen, Funny Girl

3) This inspiration came to Bob during the late night/early morning hours. What time of day are you most productive? Evening. Between 7:00 and 10:00 PM.

4) Bob wrote another song for the Four Seasons, "Silence Is Golden." The band was not happy with their recording and never released it as a single. Three years later, The Tremeloes had an international Top 10 hit with "Silence Is Golden." Tell us about a decision you wish you could do over. I think I forced a breakup. I might have given up on us too soon. But there's no going back, is there? I hope he's happy.

5) Before he got his big break, Four Seasons lead singer Frankie Valli worked as barber. Do you have a hair care appointment scheduled? Saturday afternoon. (I may be in the stylist chair as you're reading this.)
 
6) Oscar-winning actor Joe Pesci has a connection to the band. He was a young chum of Four Seasons founding member Tommy DeVito. By the time DeVito left the group and found himself overwhelmed by gambling debts, Pesci was a star. He helped his friend out, making Tommy his personal assistant and getting him cameo roles in films. Tell us about someone who has been there for you in tough times. I miss my late friend Henry so much. There's nothing he wouldn't do for me, and only ever saw the best in me. Even when I didn't deserve it. What a hole he has left!
 
7) The Four Seasons disbanded in 1977 after 17 years together. The original bandmates reunited onstage 1990 when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was an important night for them professionally and personally, too, as it gave the old friends a chance to reconnect and mend fences. Is there anyone from your past you wish you could reach out to? My former boss and theater buddy, Barb. After her husband died, she moved to Hilton Head and we lost touch. I don't even have a current address for her anymore. It's sad how easily we drifted apart.

8) Another hit song from 1962 was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." Tony Bennett compares San Francisco to Rome, Paris and Manhattan. Have you visited any of those four cities? San Francisco, Paris and Manhattan. 
 
9) Random question – You're home all alone. Do you close the door when you use the bathroom? Nope. 
 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I hope your hair appt went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salon pampering is magical. #8 & 9 were the same for me!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.