Friday, October 09, 2026

I'm wearing black anyway

The Chicago White Sox have their backs against the wall and are facing elimination in the play-offs. But it's a miracle* this team got there at all, after two seasons of losing more than 100 games. These young men should be proud and so I've been wearing black on game days in their honor, since their uniforms are black.

That does not mean, though, that I have changed my opinion of White Sox fans. They are  hostile and spend way too much time wishing ill to my guys in Cubbie blue. "Cubs suck!" Much of their antipathy comes from their belief that Chicago is overwhelmingly a Cubs town. That my guys get all the positive attention. I hate to say it, but the Sox fans might be right about this.

When my Cubs were in the playoffs – a mercifully short matter of days, considering how badly they played – there were W flags everywhere and we were all wearing official Cubs gear. As the White Sox have valiantly defied the odds and moved from the Wild Card to the ALDS, I've seen ... nothing. No White Sox logos in store windows. No GO SOX on theater marquees or sidewalk chalk signs. I did see it on the bus. Every once in a while I see a man in a Sox cap, or a woman in a Sox hoodie, but it doesn't happen often. The first story on the local sports is just as often the Bears (who only play once/week) as the White Sox. 

So while the Cubs have a victory song, the White Sox have a whine:


 

 

*A term I don't use lightly, considering their biggest fan is Pope Leo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.