Friday, November 17, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Last Train to Clarksville (1966)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) When did you most recently take a train? I took a short commuter train trip a couple towns over to get my hair cut. Taking the bus to the train and then walking from the train station to the salon took 90 minutes vs. 30 minutes by Uber. But public transportation cost $4.50 vs. $30 for the rideshare, so there's that.

2) The lyrics promise "coffee-flavored kisses and a bit of conversation." Have you more recently had coffee, a kiss, or a chat? A chat.

3) The record opens with a guitar riff inspired by The Beatles' "Day Tripper." Can you play guitar? No. I have depressingly short, fat fingers. Even texting is a trial for me because of these sausages.

4) The lead vocals are performed by Micky Dolenz. He is the only surviving member of the Monkees. Without looking it up, can you name his bandmates? Davy Jones (sigh), Peter Tork and Mike Nesmith.

5) The Monkees starred in an award-winning sitcom for two seasons. In Season 2, Micky surprised fans by appearing with a curly perm. Do you curl, straighten or color your hair? I cover the gray and add highlights.

6) Micky also did a stint at WCBS radio in New York. He spun the oldies every morning and helped his listeners get ready for work. Do you turn on the radio or TV when you first wake up? Yes. First the local TV news, then the shower radio.

7) Micky's daughter, Ami, followed her father into show business, appearing in several movies and a recurring role in General Hospital. If you followed your father into his profession, what would you have done for a living? I'd be an auto mechanic. Since I have no affinity for cars whatsoever, that would not have gone well.

8) In 1966, when this song topped the charts, miniskirts took the fashion world by storm. What have you recently added to your wardrobe? I ordered a pair of comfy black flats from Kohl's. They were an essential since I am now on my feet with my new retail job.

9) Random question -- You order chicken noodle soup and a packet of saltines arrives with the bowl. Do you: 1) break the crackers into pieces and stir them into your soup or 2) squeeze them in your hand and sprinkle the crumbles into your soup or 3) leave them untouched? 1.



 

 

6 comments:

  1. I like the new shoes. I hope that job is going well. I watch the local morning news, for 20 minutes every morning while I do a quick workout. I think I am a bit of a news junkie. That's what majoring in journalism in college does. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a big time and price difference between public transportation and Uber. I'd have a hard time deciding which was more important to me...my money or my time. Nice shoes! A good supportive shoe is a must for a job that has you on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about your new job! I will have to read back. Those shoes are adorable! They look like ones I would like to wear. I may have to look for some.
    Yes, there is a train to Busch stadium, but I do not live in St. Louis, I live in southwest Missouri which is more rural. Springfield has a city bus, but I live in the country. We drive everywhere. I even have to drive 20 minutes to get to work. There is no public transportation. You could probably get an Uber. When we go see the Cardinals, we drive and park at the stadium. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the softball question. :-) I am glad your new job is going well and it looks like it could be a permanent thing if you so desire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfortable shoes are essential to retail work.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.