Sunday, June 25, 2023

"That's the most American sentence ever!"

My friend Nancy likes it that I make her husband laugh. I'm happy to do it. Although at dinner Saturday, when I made him spit his Miller Genuine Draft, and I didn't mean to.

When I swung into the booth, the first thing I asked was about the coup attempt in Russia. I said I started the day watching the coverage and was riveted, but then the Cubs game started. 

"That's the most American sentence ever!" Paul said, when he recovered. "Maybe the geopolitical balance of power is shifting, but the baseball game is on."

Well, yeah. What's your point?

His laughter was kind, so I didn't mind. Besides, it wasn't any baseball game. The Cubs were playing the Cards -- always an event -- and in LONDON!

I'm proud to say that there were enough Cub fans representing us in Jolly Old England that this celebratory post-game rendition of "Go, Cubs, Go" sounded great.

 

Paul paid for dinner, too. So there's that. (Though I left the tip.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.