Friday, June 23, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over (1991)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Lenny Kravitz sings about all the tears he's cried over this relationship. Scientists theorize that human tears fall into two categories: emotional and irritant. "Emotional tears" are most often shed over physical pain, empathy, compassion, depression, and anger/frustration. Think about the last time you cried. What triggered your tears? It was almost exactly six months ago, when I realized I wouldn't be spending Christmas with my dear friend, Henry. Because of his escalating cognitive deterioration, I may never see him again. I love him very much, so this has been hard for me to accept.

2) We also cry "irritant tears," which means we well up when a foreign particle gets in our eye. Over-the-counter drops can help. What's the last thing you bought at the drugstore? Was it a medication (OTC or prescription) or something else entirely? I picked up my prescription mouthwash and a 6-pack of Coke at Walgreen's.

3) TV actresses have played a big part in Lenny Kravitz' life. His mother was Roxie Roker, who played the neighbor Helen on The Jeffersons. His wife (and the inspiration for this song) was Lisa Bonet, who played one of the daughters on The Cosby Show. Their daughter, Zoe Kravitz, appeared in the HBO series Big Little Lies. What TV series do you never tire of, and could watch again and again? I am forever entertained by The Dick Van Dyke Show. Carl Reiner was involved in most episodes – writing, directing, or appearing as Alan Brady – and I'm impressed by how prolific and sophisticated he was. And Dick Van Dyke was ridiculously good as Rob Petrie. I don't think I've seen him hit a false note.

4) Thinking of Big Little Lies ... Zoe Kravitz co-starred with Nicole Kidman. Shortly after Kidman divorced Tom Cruise, she dated Lenny Kravitz. Have you ever been curious about a partner's past love? Not really. I wanted to hear as much as he wanted to share.

5) Lenny Kravitz and Today Show weatherman Al Roker are second cousins (their grandfathers were brothers). Do you turn to a TV weatherman for the forecast? Or do you check a website or app? I watch the news in the morning, and during the day I say, "Alexa, what's the weather outside?" Weather here in Chicagoland can be very changeable, depending on how close you happen to be to our Great Lake. I haven't found an app that reflects that, but Alexa is very good.

6) Also a talented photographer, Lenny's work has been displayed at the Leica Gallery in Wetzlar, Germany. What's the most recent photo you took? A picture of a deposit slip. One of my duties as condo board member is to empty the coin slots in the laundry room and take the quarters to the bank. I text the deposit slip to our management company for record keeping. It's just as dull as it sounds.

7) In 1991, when this song was popular, Murray Bicycles were the top seller among younger set. Popularity is fleeting, though. By 2004, the company filed for bankruptcy and no longer produces bicycles. Was your bike a big part of your summer when you were a kid? Oh, yes! Sometimes I pretended it was a horse, other times a motorcycle. It was important, too, for taking me from hither to yon.

8) Also in 1991, Gene Roddenberry died. Mr. Roddenberry is best known as the creator of Star Trek. Who's your favorite Star Trek character? I've never willingly watched a Star Trek episode, so my answer is not well informed. But from what I've accidentally picked up, I'll go to with Capt. James T. Kirk.

9) Random Question: How do you think your high school classmates remember you? Apparently I'm remembered as smart, which is amusing because I was a straight C student. But I've interacted with some former classmates on social media, and they recall me as a far better student than I was. 



6 comments:

  1. I need to look up the Dick Van Dyke show--I used to watch it when I was a kid and remember it fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Especially the rubber boat. And the walnuts. It's not on here these days, so there is no way for me to see it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At my former place of employment I was getting reimbursed for commuting costs and had to take lots of photos of my receipts. Very dull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The situation with Henry would probably make me cry, too. It's very hard to have to "say goodbye" to someone when they are still alive. Brain injuries, dementia and all the rest are so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexa is pretty spot on sometimes. I love it when she tells me, "It might rain today. There's a 41% chance at 5 p.m. today. You can expect about 0.1 inches," or whatever. She's so exact! I am sorry about Henry. I know that's been really hard on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all certainly loved our bikes! Most of the posters here had the sort of bike that our daughters rode.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Henry. it's terribly hard when a dear friend starts to lose their memories etc. I've gone through it and several times with good friends and even family.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.