Friday, November 25, 2022

If there isn't a photo, did it happen?

I donned a beige and black striped blouse I've never worn before and real shoes (not tennies) for our Thanksgiving feast. My friend John noticed and commented. I think part of why he enjoys our Thanksgiving is that he can see me in something other than a Cubs t-shirt.

John and Gregory spent part of last week with Gregory's siblings. Bro and Sis were in town not for Thanksgiving but to visit a relative who is failing. It occurred to me when the three of us were blabbing that we spent a lot of time talking about Medicare (all three of us), medical maladies (me and John), sick and/or dying relatives (John and Gregory). 40 years ago, when I first met these guys, it was all about new music and clubs. Now it's Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare Supplement.

We ordered the pre fixe Thanksgiving menu:

•  Butternut squash bisque (Gregory had the green salad)

•  Roast turkey with cornbread dressing 

•  Mashed potatoes

•  Butternut squash/apple casserole (my favorite part of the meal)

•  Green beans and sliced carrots

•  Pumpkin pie

All for $40! I had expected it to be less food at a higher price point, what with all doom-and-gloom inflation news. The only concession I noticed the restaurant made was they axed the promised cranberry sauce and didn't replace it.

I also had a margarita (my first alcohol in a month -- until I got an OK from my doctor I didn't touch the stuff) and John had two Heinekens. 

For my birthday, John gave me a filmography of Katharine Hepburn. I could tell it was from the marked-down bin but that's fine. The Great Kate is still my favorite and he remembered that. The photos and reproductions of the original movie posters are lovely.

As I got into my Lyft, I realized that again this year, there was no photo of our Friendsgiving. I'm so used to posting pics this made me feel bad.

But it shouldn't. I'm thankful that we had fun, that we had each other, that we have such history, and that our bellies were full. That's enough.

That's a lot.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really nice Thanksgiving! So glad you could get together with your friends and enjoy the day. Friends are truly the family that we chose. Have a good weekend. (I need to finish and mail my voter postcards for Georgia. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did not take photos this year, even though it's my first Thanksgiving with family since Covid hit. It's all memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't take photos, either. Sometimes it's good not to look through the lens.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.