Friday, November 18, 2022

Come for the pancreas, stay for the liver

I'm so sick of being sick. 

In September, I was plagued by pain and my doctor suspected diverticulitis. I went to the ER for a CT scan and found, lo and behold, I had (in the attending physician's words) "a big, honking kidney stone.

The scan revealed "an abnormality" on my pancreas. I was told it could be anything from a shadow on the film to something more consequential and, once I get my kidney issues straightened out, I should address.

In October, I had a lithotripsy. It was a success. Yay! I had hoped that now I would feel better. I don't. I'm not in pain, and for that I'm grateful. But I'm fatigued and I have no appetite. Now the fatigue could be depression -- I'm under a lot of stress right now and I admit it's getting to me. But the appetite thing is worrisome. It could be a symptom of pancreatitis, which would explain that troublesome abnormality detected by the CT scan.

So this week it was back to the hospital for an MRI. It took between 45 minutes and an hour (it's easy to lose track of time in the tube). But it wasn't so bad. I'm lucky that I never felt claustrophobic or overly anxious. It's just hard to be in there, wondering if the tech is looking at the indications that you have pancreatic cancer.

But I found out Thursday it's not pancreatic cancer. It's not pancreatic anything. According to the results posted in MyChart, I have fatty liver disease. But my pancreas seems fine.

I'm going away this weekend so I'll talk to my doctor about this Monday. After all, this has been hanging over my head for two months now. Letting it go for three days is not really going to make a difference.



4 comments:

  1. Well, that's a relief. And a fatty liver can be dealt with by dietary changes, or it may be a medicine you're taking. Mine showed up bad in my blood tests for a long time after my gallbladder surgery and subsequent ulcers, but it eventually became better. I wish you luck (and also wonder if you've been checked for an ulcer, because that was my only symptom - lack of appetite).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. My doctor is monitoring it and it has not progressed. Good luck! And what a relief it wasn't pancreatic cancer/anything-else-nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut out red meat, processed food and salt. If not taken care of, it can lead to Cirrhosis. I try not to take any medicine unless I have to. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here on the fatty liver disease - my doc always watched my liver enzymes for any significant change. I am glad your issue wasn't anything major. I hear you on the sick of being sick thing. UGH.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.