Saturday, August 20, 2022

Saturday 9

 Jack and Diane (1982)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The video for this song features lots of snapshots. Do you have many physical photo albums? Or do you store your pictures digitally? Yes, I have both. There's a cabinet filled with photo albums, and folder upon folder on my desktop of pictures.
 
2) This song tells the story of "two American kids growing up in the heartland." Young Jack dreams of being a football star. When you were in high school, did you fantasize about stardom? If yes, what were you going to be famous for? I was going to be a crusading journalist, famous for exposing corruption. Can you tell I grew up during the lionization of Woodward and Bernstein?

3) Diane wears Bobbie Brooks slacks (at least briefly). Bobbie Brooks is a popular brand at Walmart. If you had a $50 gift card for Walmart, would you be more likely to use it toward groceries, clothes, household items, or electronics? My dentist recommends I use an electric toothbrush. Walmart is as good a place as any to pick one up.

4) They go to the Tasty Freeze. If you were to run out for fast food right now, where would you go? Mr. Rib and Beef. I would order the shrimp basket, or maybe their pizza-by-the-slice. (I'd also recommend they change their name to Mr. Rib and Beef and Shrimp and Pizza.)

5) When John Mellencamp made this record, he was known professionally as "John Cougar," a stage name suggested by his manager. He has said that adopting a stage name is something he regrets. Looking over your life, if you could take a "do over," what one thing would you like to do differently? I spent too long in a bad relationship and missed other opportunities for happiness.
 
6) Even though he suffered a heart attack, John Mellencamp continues to smoke, admitting that nicotine is something he simply can't kick. Do you have a habit you wish you could break? Sloth. I'd love to be more disciplined with my time.
 
7) John's daughter Teddi was one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. She went on to join the cast of Big Brother. Do you watch any reality shows? I binge watched Honey Boo-Boo one afternoon. She's a teenager now and seems like a very nice kid, surrounded by an astonishing collection of subpar adults.

8) In 1982, when this song was popular, William Windsor was born. He's better known by his job title. Without looking it up, do you know who he is? He's the little one on the right.
 

9) Random question: What do you do when you can't sleep? Watch TV, catch up with my Farmville 2 farm. Or, as with this particular pre-dawn Saturday morning, answer these questions.

 


 

 

8 comments:

  1. Hmm...had we both followed our teenage career dreams we might have crossed paths. You? Honey Boo-Boo? I never would have imagined that! Even though it's first thing in the morning, you've got me thinking about a hot, cheesy, slice of Chicago pizza. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmville 2? I remember hearing about it. I played Farmville for over 10 years. I was so sad when it ended. My ADD messes me up with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6 Same here. I can’t seem to get motivated to do stuff. Like clean the house.
    #9 That is when I did my questions 3 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I always wanted to be the "crusading journalist" as popularized by Woodward and Bernstein during Watergate. We must be about the same age. ;-) I was editor of my high school newspaper and journalism was one of my majors in college. I worked part-time at a small daily newspaper in California back in the 90s but that was it for me as far as journalism. I have always loved words though, which is why I am now a high school English teacher. I also take a lot of pictures and we have lots of photo albums full of pictures from when our kids were little. They are all on shelves in the basement and I rarely look at them. I remember when Prince William was born - he is about year younger than my oldest daughter who was born in 1981. I watched Honey Boo-Boo a couple of time years ago. I didn't realize that show was still on. I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My electric toothbrush needs new batteries. I will say, when I use it I have a lot fewer cavities. I need to take care of the batteries this weekend. I think mine came from Sam's, so they are part of Walmart. I like mine. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never wanted to be a famous journalist, I just wanted to write for the local weekly - which is exactly what I ended up doing. I also never wanted to be a famous author, I wanted to ghostwrite Nancy Drew books. Ha. It all involved writing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farmville 2, I haven't played that in awhile. I may have to go check it out again. I still love the original Farmville the best. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a notion that it might be Prince William. But didn't want to peek. Farmville was a great time. I loved it while I was there. You work hard all day, a little sloth at home is understandable! Have a great evening, Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.