Tuesday, August 02, 2022

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 2

Today's happiness -- Freedom and flexibility. I admit that sometimes I am just done with this job, and with working altogether. Last week I was frustrated by all kinds of things ... a boss who hinders as much as she helps, another generation of novice coworkers that I get to train, OKTA verify and VPN issues, etc.

But today I'm experiencing the good side of it all. Today is Tuesday, the day I'm supposed to show up and work onsite at the office. There are meetings planned as well as a farewell party for the interns. Anyway, I woke up feeling kind of shitty. Literally. My gut hasn't been healthy since I took antibiotics last month for my tooth extraction and this morning it was most definitely making itself felt in unpredictable ways.

So I sent an email to my coworkers and went back to bed for an hour. I woke up to all manner of "Get well's" and "We'll miss you's." But no one really cares that today is another day I'll be working from home.

The boss I had three years ago on this date leaned very heavily on me and would have made me feel guilty about taking care of myself. Annoying as Marilyn can be, she gives me the freedom and flexibility I need today. 

I'm also happy for the very VPN and OKTA verify that bedeviled me last week, because this connectivity enables me to work from home.

And I'm happy that even on a day that begins with bathroom distress, I can find happiness. That's a gift I'm truly grateful for.

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

4 comments:

  1. Having digestive issues is not fun. This is going to sound silly, but I recently found that chewing gum with Xylitol in it helps. No doctor has ever recommended that to me nor do I have any idea why it would help, but it does. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree-a working VPN and in our case Microsoft Authenticator make me very happy. It also makes me happy that we don't even have an office to go back to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took care of yourself by staying home today. I would be very leery of using public transportation with an iffy gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always nice to have that flexibility and understanding from a boss. I hope you're feeling better - and I love the idea of the happiness challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.