Sunday, April 03, 2022

At least it didn't rain

 

 

I went down to Macomb one last time, to see my nephew before he graduates from Western Illinois University.

If you're ever in Macomb (I know; why would you ever be in Macomb?) I recommend the Super 8 Motel. The rooms are tiny, but clean, safe, and affordable (cheap). I also applaud this sign on the door. Someone wrote, "We wish you didn't have to leave at all." A writer like me. I love that added touch, even though I bet 9 out of 10 guests don't read after 11:00 A.M.

While rain was predicted, it never fell. That enabled us to wander the campus under cloudy skies. He showed me buildings where he had classes and talked to me about his favorite professors. He has been happy here, and so I felt more than a little melancholy. This part of his life will be over in a matter of weeks, and he'll be embarking on the next one.

We talked about that a lot. In a way, he and I are in the same place. He knows he will soon graduate and has to start working and planning his career. I, on the other hand, know I will soon retire. I don't have a date certain like he does, but I'm 64 years old and know that my professional journey is about to end just as his is beginning. We both confessed a little anxiety. (OK, he's really anxious.)

His job as a baseball writer may have fallen through. The website, devoted to baseball, was financially crippled by the labor dispute (fucking owners!) and doesn't have the funds to add to staff right now. Maybe in May. Maybe not.

But he wants to write. He knows that now. He asked me how to go about breaking into it. 

I told him that it won't be easy because his degree will be in political science and government. I'm also not sure he doesn't want to go into politics in some form. He just lights up when he talks about those classes! I recommended that he offer his services to local charities and local campaigns (after all, this does just so happen to be an election year). The important thing is for him to get content published somewhere ... anywhere. 

And we saw a deer! My nephew was amused by how excited I was. He said that they're just making their way out of the deeper forest and starting to appear on campus, but by the end of the month this will be a regular sight. There's little car traffic around the halls and, on weekends especially, it's pretty quiet so the deer just hang out. I thought it was very nice of her to be so still so I could take her picture.

Anyway, I'm grateful that he likes to spend time with his old fart aunt, that he confides in me and thinks I have something to offer. I hope he will be happy as he moves forward. I wish he wasn't so worried about all this, but then, I'm a worrier, too. Maybe it's genetic!

Thinking of genetic ... OH! HIS DORM ROOM! It's not only a mess, but it literally stinks. (He does laundry every other week, and 14 days worth of dirty underwear can really reek.) There also was nowhere for me to sit. Every surface was covered with printouts, wrappers, and Walmart bags. As he dumped the trash off a chair so I could sit, I admit I admired how unembarrassed he was by this. I wish I could just own my sloppiness the way he does his. (Please note: I just bleached my whites before I left on Friday; I can't imagine going 2 weeks without doing the laundry! So I'm not that bad.)

2 comments:

  1. This post gave me the warm fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar relationships with our nieces/nephews.

    I am sad that his writing job may fall through.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.