Friday, October 15, 2021

What does my future hold?

 The office reopens November 1. I've been away from day-to-day commuting for 17 months now. What will it be like? 

I've been setting my alarm clock for 7:00 AM, so that 6:30 won't feel like too much of a shock. And yet somehow I'm not even in the shower until 8:30. That won't cut it, since I'll have to leave the house by 8:10 to catch the 8:19. 

How much will I miss my afternoon naps? Running errands in my neighborhood? Always being home when Alexa tells me my package has arrived?

How much will I hate being surrounded by people all day, every day again? Will I feel like a drag queen as I layer on the eyeliner, the mascara, the earrings, the necklace and watch?

Thank goodness I have so many vacation days left. If I find I can't take it anymore, I'll just trade one in and stay home.

There's a lot about going downtown that I do love. The city during the holidays is terrific. The Loop economy will never bounce back until those big office buildings are full again. The homeless depend on our foot traffic. It's time to return to normal -- or the new normal.



3 comments:

  1. I hope you do not find returning to the working world outside of home burdensome. Give it 10 days and I bet you'll be back in the swing of things. Hope so, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly relate to this. Good luck getting back into your routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to go back after being home for an extended period. I hope you have an easy adjustment. I know your kitty will miss having you around. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.