Sunday, September 12, 2021

Yesterday was not a good day

Friday, Reynaldo was very interested in his food. He greeted me at the door when I returned from running errands. He knocked things off the dining room table to get my attention.

Saturday, he did none of those things. 

All he did Saturday was sleep or, when awake, stare. While this morning he joined me for some snuggles, he seemed unsteady on his feet as he ambled away.

He is not enjoying his life. I know that. We've been together since he was a kitten. I know all his moods. He may or may not be uncomfortable, but I know he is not happy.

I am going to call the vet in the morning. I don't want to wait until Rey-Rey is in pain to do the right thing. On the other hand, I don't want to say goodbye if all he needs to feel better is a short course of meds. 

He is never going to get well. I accept that. He is 17 -- 84 in human years -- and he has a litany of maladies: glaucoma, arthritis, chronic kidney and thyroid and now heart troubles. I know that.

I truly wish he would die overnight. In his sleep. Peacefully. That would be our happiest ending right now.

That's not likely to happen though, is it? Life is seldom that kind, and it seems I have a lesson to learn here.

I pray I do right by him.


 



3 comments:

  1. Oh, Gal--Rey has lived such a wonderful life with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all part of the love agreement we made with them, isn't it? Hard as it may be for us to let them go, it's an act of true, enduring love. Keeping you and Rey in my good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.