Saturday, August 14, 2021

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 14

Today's happiness -- Loving baseball. Or, to be more precise, having people in my life who get how much I love baseball.

This "happy" actually began Thursday night. I was really blue about the rather dismissive treatment I'd received from my friends Mindy and John, so I reached out to my friend Henry. He recommended I turn on "The Field of Dreams Game." I resisted. My favorite-most player Anthony Rizzo should have been playing that night, but he was out with covid, so I was afraid the game would just depress me. Henry insisted. "Turn on your TV," he commanded. "It is on Fox. We will watch it together." Damn if he wasn't right! It was very emotional for me. Especially seeing Rizzo's jersey draped over the railing, representing him. And it must be said Henry really doesn't care about sports at all. But, as he likes to say, "I know my sister."

Now for today: I just heard that Rizz is feeling well enough to begin official workouts on Monday. The moment I heard, I texted my nephew. He answered immediately, as though he was holding his phone and waiting for me. We went back and forth about the impact this will have on the Yankees' Luke Voigt, and what an asshole Jake Arrieta was in his last Cubs press conference

Talking baseball makes me happy. Even when I'm unhappy. I must remember this. And I'm so grateful that I have something in my life that lifts my heart like this.

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

 

1 comment:

  1. Your baseball fandom makes me sense--it is, after all, America's pastime!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.