Saturday, August 14, 2021

Sunday Stealing

Summer

1. What subjects lead you down a Wikipedia rabbit hole? Have you been watching me? I often click on a link in an article that takes me somewhere that takes me somewhere else. I'd tell you about the Wikipedia rabbit hole I crawled down this morning, but then you'd know what Sam has in store for you for Saturday 9.

2. How do you like to spend your birthdays? Being fussed over. I don't have anything particular that I like, I just enjoy being remembered.

3. Something you might take a little too seriously? I feel like I take everything too seriously. A gentleman once told me I have no gift for "small talk." I guess it's no coincidence that Katie from The Way We Were is one of my all-time favorite movie heroines.

 

4. Describe a time you made a good decision for yourself. When I chose to move down the corporate ladder. I do not like being a boss. I think it's because I don't like authority, and I was becoming what I don't like. Anyway, I've been happier making less money as a writer than I was as a creative director. (Though I admit I wish I could have a boss' salary without a boss' responsibility. I'd also like to be 5'10 and wraith thin. Neither is going to happen.)
 
5. Something you’ve improved/gotten better at. Letting myself cry. Does that sound stupid? One of my lifelong battles is accepting that it's OK to not be OK.

 

 6. What dish would you bring to a summer potluck? Berries and sliced bananas. Everyone likes fruit.

7. What do you miss about Winter? The lack of humidity. It's been freaking oppressive here lately.

8. Share a summer memory. At least once every summer, my dad took us to the miniature golf course not far from my grandparents' home. It was just 9 holes and pretty rudimentary -- no clown's mouth or windmill, just a water hazard. Anyway, my dad was endlessly patient with me when we were golfing. He'd even frame the hole, making a V with his shoes, so I could aim my putt. "Take you time, Tiger," he'd advise me. This stands out because my father was always in a hurry, and for him to tell me to take my time was something special. For once he wasn't complaining or angry or anxious. I also remember him running his fingers through my hair as we returned our clubs, balls and little pencils to the little whitewashed shack. At least once a summer, it felt like my dad enjoyed spending time with me.

9. Words you misspell or misuse the most. I can never remember how to spell "diarrhea" or "occurrence."
 
10. Things you love to do, that can only happen in summer. Having a rootbeer float at the little ice cream shop that's only open from Memorial Day to (maybe) Halloween.
 
11. How would you describe your sense of humor? Irreverent
 
12. Have you ever quit a job or career? Yes. See #4.

13. What are your favorite features of your cell phone? The camera.

14. What scents always make you hungry? I get hungry when I can smell my neighbors grilling hamburgers.

15. What are you working on right now? When I'm done with this, I'm going to put my laundry away.



7 comments:

  1. #5--yes! Feeling feelings is tricky for me because I spent my childhood/young adulthood being told to toughen up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that poster on Grief. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 I have a problem with authority and therefore being in that position myself is something I would struggle to do. I'm quite happy where I am although some decisions from above do infuriate me enough to speak out.

    #14 - I love the smell of grilling burgers.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly swooned when I saw that you'd written you were putting your laundry away! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. before I forget, the grief image is TERRIFIC! Thanks for that. We have some similar answers and I read some of yours to dh who also took himself off the boss track at work. I so enjoyed your answers and openness. Katie is a fine character in my book. Passion for goodness is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story about you and your dad on #8. I bet he looked forward to that every summer. ♥
    Oh that chart on grief! So true. There are so many things that cause grief. It is amazing how we make it through. I guess all of the good things make it better.
    It has been super humid in Missouri too. I hate it. Loved your answers. Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your Dad story. Sunday got away from me, and I didn't get my Sunday Stealing posted, but I'm glad I've come around to read yours. It was a good one :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.