Saturday, September 19, 2020

This one hurts

"I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks."

You've all heard the story: at the beginning of her career, the brilliant Ruth Bader Ginsburg had trouble finding employment because she was a woman with a child. When she interviewed, men didn't see a graduate of Cornell and Columbia or the first woman to be on two major law reviews (Columbia and Harvard). They saw a woman with a child. 

She went on to argue six gender discrimination cases before the Supreme Court. If you're reading this, and you're a woman with a career, you got a leg up from RBG. 

I also loved her love story. Her husband, Martin, was a successful tax attorney and endlessly proud of his more prominent wife -- unusual for a bride and groom who got hitched in the 1950s. And she was devoted to him. While they were both law students, shortly after the birth of their first child, he became ill with testicular cancer. She attended both his classes and hers and typed his papers for him, all the while caring for their new little girl. She did this because she loved him and because they were partners, ultimately married 56 years. They remind me of a real-life Jo and Professor Bhaer. Just writing this makes me misty.

Farewell, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Thank you. For all of it.

4 comments:

  1. A sad loss for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore my Notorious RBG mask today and got commiseration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly Sad to lose this wonderful person, and truly, truly Ominous.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.