Saturday, August 10, 2019

Saturday 9


Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs (1993)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.


1) This is the theme from Frasier, a TV show that ran  from 1993 to 2004. Were you a fan? Not really. I've seen it a few times in reruns and it's fine, but I don't go out of my way to catch it.

2) The show is about a radio advice show host, Dr. Frasier Krane. When you listen to the radio, do you tune in for talk or music? Music. I like hearing the Cubs score and the weather, but I tune in for the music.

3) The theme's composer explained that tossed salad and scrambled eggs are both "mixed up," like the people who called Frasier's radio show. Which did you eat more recently, tossed salad or scrambled eggs? I had tossed salad with my late lunch on Friday. Thousand Island dressing. I'm reminded how much I like Thousand Island.

4) Peri Gilpin played Roz, Frasier's coworker at the radio station. The actress originally cast was Lisa Kudrow, but the show's producers didn't feel she was "right." Being released from Frasier gave her the opportunity to accept a bigger and better part: Phoebe on Friends. Can you think of a time when a setback was really a blessing in disguise? I had a prejudice toward women doctors. I was convinced they were more empathetic to women's issues. Then, when I was about 45, I got Dr. Lisa. She was a stone bitch. I found myself in terrible pain, 24/7, during my period. This was a new and excruciating wrinkle and she gave me opiates and told me to suck it up. She said she knew all about "cramps." She wasn't hearing me that these weren't "cramps."

I immediately switched to a different doctor, chosen using insurance and geography as my guide. I ended up with Dr. Chuck, right around the corner. He could not have been more responsive. He discovered that I had four golf ball-sized uterine fibroids and sent me to a radiologist for an embolization. 

If Dr. Lisa had been any nicer, had spent more time with me, and still told me to just take pain killers, I might have gone along with her lame ass treatment regimen. And I would have suffered. So in retrospect, I'm glad she was officious and dismissive.
 
5) Dr. Krane shared his home with Martin, his retired dad. Martin's favorite chair was well-worn recliner, held together in parts with tape. Frasier tried to replace it by giving his father a brand-new, expensive leather chair as a gift. Martin wanted his old recliner back. Tell us about a present you either gave or received that wasn't a hit. The phone! When my friend Mindy was mom to a toddler, I gave her a big phone with  speed dial, as well as a notepad with a leather cover to go beside it. She was going back to work and I wanted her to be able to program the doctor's number, her work number, her husband's work number, etc., for the daycare worker.

I hadn't counted on how torn she was about returning to work. She hated the phone. She said she would never let anyone take care of her son who couldn't dial a phone. And, when she was insulting the phone, her son was tearing the leather cover off the notepad. I was shattered.

Mindy is one of the sweetest people on earth, and she didn't mean to hurt my feelings. She was just that miserable about leaving him and going back to work and my gift celebrated it. I understand that now. But at the time, I was pretty miserable myself. (PS Now that kid is 29, so she and I are well past this.)

6) Kelsey Grammer played Dr. Krane on three different series (Cheers, Wings and Frasier) over 20 years. What job have you held the longest? This one. I started at this agency on St. Patrick's Day, 2004.

7) Before he found success on Cheers, Grammer played bit parts on the daytime dramas Ryan's World and Another World. Have you ever followed a soap opera? 




My two faves. My mom was a big soap fan herself, so she encouraged me in my passion. My kid sister inherited the soapy gene, too.

8) In addition to work in front of the camera, Grammer has done voice over work on commercials for Dr. Pepper and Cheerios. Are either of those products in your kitchen right now? No. But I do have Coke and Honey Bunches of Oats.
 
9) Random question: You're invited to a party where dinner is served buffet style. There's spaghetti with tomato sauce, barbecue spare ribs and buffalo wings. When the evening is over, how likely are you to have a food stain on your clothes? Highly likely. OK, a certainty. I'm such a klutz and a slob.


9 comments:

  1. That story about your doctor gets my dander up. We are dealing with a doctor who used to be very good and very thorough, but now is not. We've been riding it out hoping it would pass, but it hasn't and at my last visit when I told him my hip hurts so bad at night that I can't sleep a lot of the time his response was that he, himself, has a lot of aches and pains during the night and that all he could tell me was "it sucks to get old." Really??? You're soaking my insurance for $175 for a 15-minute appointment, while you only spend 5 minutes with me, and that's all you've got? I asked our friends for the number of their doctor and we are going to try her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a major fan of Guiding Light in the 80s--when Kevin Bacon was on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark Shadows seems really cheesy today but I loved it when it was on. The ghosts! The biting! The theme song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your gift was very thoughtful and I'm glad you are all past that now! Haha!! My sister loved Dark shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I had other things to say, and then I got to your Dr. Lisa story. Holy shit!!! I'm so glad Dr. Chuck helped you out so rapidly. Man. There are days I really having had to have a hysterectomy, and then there are stories like yours... I've never had Thousand Island dressing. I'm scared of the color, I think... Your first question reminded me, I always wonder about it when you ask a question of us and then your answer is something to the effect of, no, I don't do/like that. It makes me interested in how well you do think about these things, that they don't all apply to you. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That doctor sounds awful and the same thing happened to my co-worker! She had endometriosis though. Awful!
    I felt the same way when I had to go back to work and leave Josh. That is such a nice gift you got. I am glad you guys are past it though. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo, Dark Shadows. That was a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find women gynecologists to be pretty hard nosed. I'm glad you found a better doctor.
    You are a klutz too? We have our meetings on Wednesday night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Lisa sounds pretty toxic, I wouldn't like to be a patient of her's.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.