Saturday, August 31, 2019

"I'm hiding out at The Hole"

So read Thursday's text from my friend John. It annoyed me for a number of reasons.

1) That bar hasn't been called The Hole in the Wall for more than three years. It has new owners, a new menu and a new decor based on Alice in Wonderland. He complains that he doesn't like the "pretentious" upgrades and refuses to call it by its current name. This is indicative of his attitude toward the world these days.

2) That doesn't stop him from going there several times a week to watch TV and drink. It's not as though he doesn't have TV and liquor at his home. And food. As a diabetic, he should be paying closer attention to his diet and he shouldn't drink so much.

3) Plus, his job just ended. I don't know if Thursday was his last day, or if on Thursday they told him when his last day would be. He says we'll talk sometime "over the weekend." I've tried calling twice.

4) I can't leave a message because his voice mail is "broken." He doesn't know how to access it. (He also says his cell phone won't "accept" apps.)

How can this 64 year old white haired man -- who walks with a cane -- get a new job in advertising? He has no LinkedIn page, no personal web page. He can't even access voice mail.

How can he afford not to? He suffers from congestive heart failure and diabetes. He has a fistful of pills that he has to take every day. He has doctors he sees on a regular basis. His rent is at least $1200/month.

When I told him that I had enough retirement money to last me 5-6 years -- which I admit is nowhere near enough -- he said, "You're doing better than I am!"

So what happens to him now? I am so scared for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.