Saturday, May 03, 2014

It's the little things that mean a lot

What made today a really good Saturday? A lot of little things.

•  Good day, sunshine! 65ยบ and clear skies. Perfect!

•  The staff at my vet's office. Reynaldo's prescription cat food is about $50 for a case of 24 cans, and I just can't afford that right now. I stopped by and asked them for about 5 cans to tide me over until his scheduled appointment next month. They explained that the price of an individual can is more than $3. I told them I could spare $20 right now, but just $50. They sent me home with a full case of 24, saying that since I had an appointment on the books, they'd just add it to my bill when he gets his check up. I thanked them profusely and asked if they wanted the $20 down, but they wouldn't hear of it. So while I recoil in horror at the thought of a bar like Cheers where everybody knows my name, I'm very grateful for veterinary clinic where my cats and I are recognized.

•  $8.34. That's how much I saved in coupons at CVS. I do so love me my coupons!

•  Impromptu conversation. First my neighbor Brian stopped me by the recycling bins and we gossiped a bit about goings on in the building. He's such a nice guy. Then, when I went over to my favorite coffee shop for a late breakfast, I was invited to join Nancy and her family, who had just ordered lunch. Nancy is a long-ago coworker who said she misses seeing me every day. That was nice. I'm fortunate that I'm able to make lasting connections easily. I should appreciate this gift more.

•  Cubs win! Cubs win! Now that it's May, the bats of both Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo have awakened. YES! I dug out my old Walkman (yes, you read that right) so I could listen to the game on WGN-AM radio as I did my errands. God, I love having Pat Hughes' voice in my head.


1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.