Wednesday, February 05, 2014

My aging feline population is expensive

Right now at work we have three people doing the work of two. This is not good. I wouldn't be surprised if the axe falls on one of us before February is over.

I found out, quite by accident, that although I've been there the longest of the three, I make the least.
$7,000 less than my officemate (hired in 2007), and approximately $11,000 less than the newest addition to the team (hired 2012).

I always knew that when I joined this agency back in 2004, I didn't drive a hard enough bargain. I took vacation time instead of salary and assumed that I'd get raises every year/18 months. Then the Recession happened. In 9 years I've gotten one raise. My coworkers/competitors simply negotiated better deals.

Making less than the boys may just work out in my favor. For I have more experience and I'm more cost efficient.

Which is good because I have two cats with medical problems. Reynaldo is on a special diet for life, and Charlotte is going to the vet again Friday.

I remain very worried.

4 comments:

  1. There should be some kind of AARP medical plan for senior cats. Knock on wood, mine are all healthy but one needs to be on a diet, not sure how to do that with 4.

    Knowing what you know about your coworkers, you should feel safe. Are they worried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this will aid in your not getting the ax...
    a little money is better than no money!
    keep the faith!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a stressful time. I hope you get a good report on Charlotte so you have one less thing to worry about. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. I hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.