Wednesday, July 25, 2012

John Rode a Bus!

My friend John is not one to "rough it." For example, he used to spend $100/week on cabs to and from work. I used to find that staggering, but he told me that he'd spend approx. $5,200/year on a car if he had one (insurance, gas, parking, etc.) so this wasn't wasteful. I don't have a car, so I don't know if that's not true. But that's not my point here.

Last night I saw him for drinks and dinner. We had a lovely time, and it made me happy to see him doing so well emotionally since he was laid off last month. I was touched when he reached into his bag and produced decades of postcards I'd sent him -- ones that made him laugh and meant enough to him to keep.

But most of all, I was shocked to see him GET ON A BUS!!! I have known him, literally, for 30 years and can truly only recall seeing this phenomenon one other time ... in the early 1980s.




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's doing well. Must be a belt-tightening move to take the bus. Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is refreshing to know he knows where and how to cut the budget. hope he finds work soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.