Saturday, December 03, 2011

A Tale of Two Teeth

A surprising and unwelcome part of my birthday celebration was my chipped molar. It's been more than a week and there's no pain, so I'm going to wait until January to get it looked at. Why work fruitlessly toward my deductible this late in the year, only to have the meter reset on January 1?

I realize I'm lucky to not be in pain, to have the chip in a barely visible spot, and to have dental insurance at all.

My friend from the Keys called to tell me how happy he was with the progress of his wrongful dismissal claim. But he was distracted by vodka -- partly because a cocktail is part of his after-work routine, mostly because he was in pain. He, too, has a broken tooth. But he can't afford to get it fixed because he doesn't have dental insurance. So he's going to self medicate and eventually get something done, but not the root canal/crown he predicts would set him back $1,400 he doesn't have. (I don't know what they cost, since I have the insurance, which I'm suddenly more grateful for.)

1 comment:

  1. I had insurance but it still set me back about that much. Partly because my insurance stunk. I hate teeth.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.