Friday, December 02, 2011

I'll know it when I feel it

On my way back from the post office where I mailed paperbacks to the soldiers, I spotted a book fair. For just $3.81 (including tax), I was able to pick up this Nancy Drew book. I left it in the drop box for the children's home my office building assists each year. I loved Nancy Drew as a young girl, and it makes me happy to think of another little gal enjoying her adventures this Christmas.

My nephew and I have already shopped for Sebastian, the 12-year-old in the after-school program for the less privileged in my own neighborhood. And I dropped off the goodies I have been collecting all year for Toys for Tots. There's a box conveniently located at my local Walgreen's (and there's probably one at yours, too -- hint, hint).

I try to contribute to good causes all year because it's the right thing to do. As JFK said, we should work toward a world where "the weak are safe and the strong are just," and to that end, I should do my part. It's what's expected of me as a Christian.

But at Christmas, when it comes to kids, there's more joy and less obligation in my giving. I think it's because I love thinking of the absolutely perfect toys I got from Santa when I was little. Or the scented lotions, barrettes and patterned knee socks in my stocking from my parents when I got older.

It wasn't so much the stuff that make the memories special. It was the wonder and the magic. The joy and surprise. It's that excitement and happiness that I'm trying to recapture and pass along to another young person.

After Sebastian and Toys for Tots, I thought I had given "enough" and was done for the season. Then I saw Nancy Drew looking out at me from the book rack and I knew I still had a ways to go. When I can look at a potential gift and a collection bin and not feel the irresistable need to bring them together, that's when I'll be done for the year

1 comment:

  1. My sister and I were just discussing how excited we get about our Angel Tree kids. I'm almost more excited about the Angle kids than about my nieces/nephews.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.