Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Uh-oh

Look what I found in my mail! A bill for about $1600 from the IRS ... dating back to 2008.

I do not owe it. I had two different IRAs with an investment firm and that company merged them into one. The $7000 that IRS swears I took and, I guess, used to buy shoes was never actually in my possession: the investment firm simply took it from one retirement fund and put it into another.

I have until January 5 to respond to this. Considering that the holidays are involved, that simply isn't going to happen, so I will ask for an extension.

Then I will try to figure out whether I'm handling this myself or pawning it off my accountant. Right now, I'm leaning to the latter.

But, like Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think of that tomorrow.

Today I'm gonna try to retain my Christmas spirit.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! That'll put a wrinkle in your holiday smile. Definitely, throw it at your accountant (sooner rather than later), so you can rest easy, knowing it's handled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly! Keep us posted on the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think that's definitely something your accountant should handle. Kind of nerve wracking all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my...not nice of them to send at this time of the year...yes, give it to the accountant ... they know how to deal with the IRS.
    I am so happy you are back...I missed your daily notes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar thing and wrote to them and send documentation. Ain't no big thang and your accountant should deal with it as that's what you pay them for.

    And agreeing with Vivian: I MISSED YOU!! Never leave without telling us again, mom! heh

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.