Friday, August 13, 2010

August Happiness Challenge 2010 -- Day 13

I accidentally discovered that my blog has made a difference in someone's life, and it makes me happy.

Every now and again I check my statcounter to see who visits here and where they're from. I have received an unusual number of hits today from The Daily Kos. Huh? What? How on earth did I get referenced on The Daily Kos?

Well, one of the regular blogs on The Daily Kos is called Sistah Speak. The author is discussing race, racism and the impact on black women. A mention was made of the coverage of violent crime against women of color, and how it isn't covered as extensively as offenses against white women. Someone calling herself Amazinggrace commented, linking back to this blog:

Mitrice [Richardson] was an exception in reporting, as was my cousin Nailah Franklin here in Chicago. Their disappearances received continuous coverage because of the diligence of their families in pressing the issue.

Up until today, I had no idea that any of my posts about Nailah Franklin was actually seen, obviously appreciated and even remembered by her family! I hope they got some comfort from knowing how deeply Nailah's story touched the heart of this stranger.

P.S. There is some news about this case. The suspect is still in jail, awaiting trial, and has been charged for assaulting a corrections officer. Sounds like a terrific guy, doesn't he? But, since today's post is about happiness, and since all of my Nailah Franklin posts have been more about her life than her death, I will say no more about him.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:09 AM

    How wonderful to know that you made a difference! You just never know where your words will go or who will read them.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.