Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Perfect for what ails me


Tonight CBS gives me one of my favorite NCIS episodes -- there's a citywide blackout and the agents must go "old school" to solve the crime. I'm grateful, because I feel depression encroaching.

Kathleen forgot me.

Yesterday she called me, kinda out of the blue, and she seemed to have an agenda of some sort. Yet after we established her kids and husband are fine, she asked me how I was and I started to tell her. I mean, we haven't seen each other in a while and when we have, someone else (her son, her husband, a mutual acquaintance ...) was around so she really doesn't know what's been going on.

Anyway, she said she'd love to catch up but she had a meeting. She said she'd give me a ride home from work today (we live in the same neighborhood) and we could stop for drinks and catch up. All day went by and I hadn't heard from her. I called her at 5:30 and got no answer. I left a message saying I would wait around until 6:15 because, well, it's raining and I'd really like a ride. Come 6:15 I did just that, trying not to feel like dogshit.

I got home, mixed myself a screwdriver, and checked my home phone. No message. I decided to give Kathleen the benefit of the doubt and checked my office voicemail. She didn't pick up my call until 6:30 and she's very embarrassed and sorry. She's too busy to get together this week, but she thinks of me often.

She apologized and I know that should be the end of it. I mean, do I expect her to surrender an internal organ or something? Shit happens. People forget things every day.

I also know, though, that I would never have done this to her.

We have known each other for 15 years. I shouldn't be too hard on her, shouldn't forget all the good times we have shared. I also know I have friends I could call on if I really felt lonely, especially John, who I have been trading chatty emails with all day. But to be honest, I don't feel like real-live company just now.

Isn't my TV boyfriend, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, just too cute?

3 comments:

  1. I do think you expect people to afford you the same courtesy as you would afford them. That is OK and not too much to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mimi on that one, too. shit happens, yes. But that's just pooty and I'd feel exactly like you did if that happened to me.

    Isn't she the one you posted about earlier who is on her iPhone all the time? And yes, they do have calendar/reminder thingys on there to alert you to important stuff. She should look into it.

    Glad you have your NCIS pals to keep you company. Hugs and stuff. I haven't forgotten you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had your handsome boyfriend to fall back on. Your thoughts resonate with me--after fifteen years and the idea fact you'd never do it to her. Oy, you got me.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.