Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's that most wonderful time of the year

Yes, it's the 4th quarter. That time of year when those of us in advertising realize how badly our accounts have been managed all year long. There aren't enough hours left in 2009 to bill to make our retainer, which means giving money back to the client. This is a very bad situation.

I'd just begun to relax. Our agency president made no mention of Christmas bonuses but told us we'd turned a corner and could look forward to salary increases in 2010. I'm not complaining because I know this recession has been hard on everyone, but I haven't had a raise in 3 years. With insurance premiums rising, my take-home pay today is actually less today than it was last year.

I suspect we can kiss raises goodbye, at least on this team, and just be glad if we have our jobs in six months.

4 comments:

  1. Same here. I'm in the financial services field and not only did I assume more responsibility last year without a commensurate salary increase, but they cut my hours back to 30. No raises this year and honestly, I'm just glad to have a job. This all will pass, as it does, but I'm with you. It's hard on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be thankful just to have a job. I haven't even finished at my job and I'm stressed about not finding a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're back in the worry cycle again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point I agree with SilverNeurotic having a job is a luxury. I have been in San Antonio for a month and still nothing. Hopefully things will get better soon, as time passes, for everyone :).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.