Monday, May 26, 2008

My own Moment of Rememberance

At 3:00 at Wrigley Field -- and at all MLB parks -- a Moment of Remembrance was observed. It was a sweet and gentle reminder that today is about more than the beginning of summer and an opportunity for me to chill out on the sofa. I was especially moved by the sight of a quartet of young sailors, in uniform, at the ballpark and enjoying the game but obviously ready to go off to fight … and die. I was reminded of a later verse of "America, the Beautiful," and my Memorial Day prayer is for those who are responsible for sending our young people off to combat do so wisely:

O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife,
Who more than self the country loved,
And mercy more than life.
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:18 AM

    I love that verse to "America the Beautiful" - it's one that we seldom hear (let alone sing). I've always gotten goosebumps when hearing (reading) it, and this morning was no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Mme. Snowbird, you always say such day-brightening things. Thanks. And CONGRATULATIONS on getting your Snowy blog identity straightened out! No more "anonymous" for you!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.