Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #18 -- Gloriously bad pop songs


Thirteen Horrific Songs
THE GAL HERSELF
Knows by Heart

If my brain was a hard drive, I’d probably resent the memory taken by these horrible songs. But alas, my brain is as unorganized and cluttered as my home and my office, so at times I revel in the cheesiness, the complete and perfect wretchedness, of these bad, bad songs.

If you’re over 35, proceed with caution. It’s very possible that once you see the lyrics, one of these songs will bore it’s way through your skull and into brain and you’ll be mentally replaying it for hours to come.


1. The Night Chicago Died. Paper Lace.
“Daddy was a cop on the east side of Chicago. Back in the USA. Back in the bad old days.”

2. I Can’t Smile without You. Barry Manilow.
“I feel sad when you’re sad. Feel glad when you’re glad. If only you knew what I’m going through …”

3. Afternoon Delight. Starland Vocal Band.
“Rubbing sticks and stones together makes a spark ignite and the thought of rubbing you is getting so exciting.”

4. Daddy Don’t You Walk So Fast. Wayne Newton.
“Daddy, slow down some cuz you’re making me run. Daddy, don’t you walk so fast.”

5. Copacabana. Barry Manilow.
“She lost her youth, then she lost her Tony. Now she’s lost her mind. At the Copa!”

6. The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia. Vicki Lawrence.
“The Georgia patrol was a-making its rounds and he fired a shot, just to flag them down and a big-bellied sheriff grabbed his gun and said, ‘Why’d you do it?’”

7. Candyman. Sammy Davis.
“Who can take a sunrise and sprinkle it with dew, cover it with chocolate and a miracle or two?”

8. You Should Be Dancing. The Bee Gees.
“Whatcha doing on your back? Whatcha doing on your back? You should be dancing. Yeah. Dancing. Yeah.”

9. She’s a Lady. Tom Jones.
“She always knows her place. She’s got style, she’s got face. She’s a winner.”

10. Top of the World. The Carpenters.
“I’m on the top of the world, looking down on creation. And the only explanation I can find is the love that I found ever since you’ve been around.”

11. La La La (Means I Love You). Bobby Sherman.
“La la la. La la la. There ain’t nothing in this world I couldn’t do. La la la. La la la. My dreams would all come true if I had you. La la la …”

12. Indiana Wants Me. R. D. Taylor.
“If a man ever needed dying, he did. No one has the right to say what he said about you.”

13. Honey. Bobby Goldsboro.
“She came running in all excited. Slipped and almost hurt herself. And I laughed till I cried.”



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. dewey
2. Thomma Lynn
3. impworks
4. tink
5. Candy Minx
6. Nancy
7. Nicholas
8. Sue
9. Sobeit
10. Janet
11. Jill
12. elementary history teacher
13. JennyMcB
14. Lene
15. Cordia Amant
16. Frances
17. marcia
18. L-Squared

19. Wacky Mommy
20. Gabriella Hewitt
21. Fence
22. Ctina
23. Leigh Ann
24. Amy
25. Titania Starlight
26. Nancy J. Bond
27. Harlekwin
28. Mo
29. Mz. Jackson
30. Terra



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



44 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh! They're ALL stuck in my head! ALL AT ONCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Aaaaaauuuugggghh!!! The pain, the pain! (LOLOL!)

    Yup, I'm over 35. ;-D

    Fun list! And happy TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beinh 34 seems to have saved my brain from the pain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm over 35 and recognize every one of those songs... I still like some though! :)
    Google helped me make my TT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankfully I was listening to some good music when reading your list. Otherwise I'd be in earworm hell by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no...why do I feel like I'm going to have these sonsg in my head all night?!

    It is pain...I might include Jesse's Girl and anything by Dan Hill.

    Here is my list:

    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2007/05/is-fictional-feminism-dead.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:57 PM

    Awww...Jeez! I am forty and know ALL THOSE SONGS!!!! EEK!

    LOL! I agree w. Dew. They are all fumlbling around my brain right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:24 PM

    I know almost all of them. Some of them have very happy associations for me, even if the songs are crap. Copacabana will forever remind me of being stuck in a traffic jam in Vancouver on a very exciting day. Candyman and Honey have no happy associations at all! Ugh! Please pass the bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Hahaha! great list of dreadful songs! I actually liked that Copacabana song though ... hangs head in shame .. :)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Now I'm going to be humming Copacabana all night long!!!! Although many of them I know...that one just plays over and over!!! I have something like this on my TT...stop by when you can! Happy TT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh, radio in the 70s...ROFLMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was trying to find a song all week long, and now I know what it is...I always got the beat in my head, but couldn't remember the name!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all have a great beat and they are easy to dance to......yep, I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know what I love about song lists, whether you love them or hate them, there will always be someone commenting who feels the opposite.

    However, in this case, I am so in agreement with you! Missing "Having your baby"!

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You DO have a collection of stinkers there! Although I gotta tell ya, I always liked The Night Chicago Died. Shannon belongs on this list - the one about the dog drifting out to sea... Yikes! Thanks for the list... I think.LOL
    DK
    A Flyover Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:07 PM

    Ahh great list! I love the Beegees!
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess it's a good thing I'm under 35. I only know a few of those songs, though just the mention of the artists is enough to have me running for cover.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:00 PM

    I can sing ten of them from beginning to end.
    These songs were played to death on the radio when I was a teen.
    Thanks for the blast from the past.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank goodness a few of them I didn't remember the tune 'cause I never liked them! But a couple I actually like. Oh my gosh, someone mentioned, having your baby, too. You've brought us out of the woodwork.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:50 PM

    #6, isn't that Reba McIntire???? and AAAAAA now Cocacabana is drilling its way through my head!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL I'm under 35, but I'm familiar with most of these awful songs. I especially hate Copacabana!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous12:00 AM

    Uh. I think we're the same age. Which makes us -- young!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:37 AM

    Talk about a blast from the past. Isn't it funny too how you can hear a song and have a clear recollection of listening to it years ago while you were with (fill in the blank) or doing (blank). LOL!

    Great TT. Mine is finally up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know only about three songs. I started in the boyband-pop era. :P

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't recognise them all, but some I'm sure I'll be singing for the rest of the day.

    Happy T13

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love #3, 5, and 8! What a fun list, I love these songs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ryn: how do they keep it all together? i think it's by having trainers and makeup people, and entourages. yeah, that's what we need. an entourage.

    i still can't believe that my little girl is going to the Big City. it's about 4 or so hours away "from home". sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  28. HAHA! I'm 30 and know (and love) most of those songs!

    I love to hear my kids sing "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Fun list! I always like dancing to Copacabana, although the bridge is seriously too long!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no! I can't get tehm out of my head now!!! :o)~

    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'll be singing Copacabana all day now :)
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What no AbbA, no Neil Sedaka?! What about that horrible and annoying song by Rupert Holmes "The Pina Colada Song?"

    I'm oooooollllddd! I remembered them all. "Honey" came out when I was around 10 years old. I recall my little girlfriends and I singing it every morning on the bus ride to school. Poor bus driver. The choir of squeaky voices would sing that song over and over as a new member would hop onto the bus.

    Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  33. LoL..great list! You've got me singing along w all but #11, so I'll substitute "Yellow Ribbon" by Tony Orlando & Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ha that's funny about Afternoon Delight! I was seven or eight when it first came out and my mother wouldn't let me sing it because the lyrics were dirty. She wouldn't explain why they were dirty either...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous12:17 PM

    LOL, only 30 here and still knew them!!! I actually like a few of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. About the songs that made the cut ... I had to remember ALL the words, which is why "You're Having My Baby," a wretched song in it's own right, didn't make it. I also had to recall the name of the (ah hem) artist, which explains the absence of "I'm the Happiest Girl in the Whole USA." Thanks for contributing "The Pina Colada Song." It's trapped in MY head now. And all of these songs are, in some campy-kitschy-Brady Bunch/Gilligan's Island way, songs I'm fond of. It's their very shameless horribleness that endears them to me. Glad we all had some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Luckily, I didn't recognize most of these. But #7 made me hungry. I like chocolate. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be sprinkled on a sunrise...or anything for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I know all those cheesy songs, except #12. And, yeah, you were right, now I'm humming several tunes at once....that's annoying!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know 2, 5, 6, and 13 all too well myself.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well, I don't hang my head with any shame. Yes, I know them all and at one time would say liked them all, but we all have to grow up at some time, well, almost all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Am I going to lose my superior "rock chick" rating if I admit that I actually really like most of those songs and.....gasp...love Barry Manilow?

    Yes, I am a Fanilow!!! I've seen him five times in concert and cried my eyes out each time. Come to think of it, so did my husband, but I doubt it was for the same reason :)

    Great list!!!! Happy TT
    Jessica The ROck Chick

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I am almost proud to say I don't know half those songs, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow, these are pop songs??

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know them all, most of them with the complete lyrics... Oops! :-)
    Thanks for visiting my Google TT; sorry I'm this late in responding.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.