WWW.
WEDNESDAY asks three questions to prompt you to speak bookishly. To
participate, and to see how other book lovers responded, click here.
PS I no longer participate in WWW.WEDNESDAY via that link because her blog won't accept Blogger comments. I mention this only to save you the frustration I experienced trying to link up.
1. What are you currently reading? 50 Movie Nights by Dave Karger. I love movies, but I'm not always crazy about "best ever films" lists. I'm not into Ingmar Bergman or Stanley Kubrick or Akira Kurosawa. Maybe it's because I like movies and not "cinema."
So I'm enjoying this book by TCM's Dave Karger. It's a compilation of titles named by 50 celebrities as their all-time favorite movie. These are movies that most intrigued or delighted or inspired them. It's a book about pure joy.
2. What did you recently finish reading? Candy Apple Red by Nancy Bush. Our narrator Jane Kelly is a thirty-something California girl who follows her lover to a smallish town in Oregon. The man moves on without her but she stays. She was rudderless in SoCal and hopes to find some meaning/direction in Lake Chinook. She's been a bartender, now she's a process server, and through her legwork for local attorneys, seems to be slowly evolving into a PI. The case that she's investigating, almost against her will, is an icky one: The scion of Lake Chinook's richest family killed his wife and kids and disappeared. It's believed that if Jane gets in good with the suspect's dad and follows the money, he can be found.
I really wanted to like this book. Jane is a relatable heroine. (Maybe because, like Jane, I had a great love I always referred to by his Irish surname.) I did like Lake Chinook, a town on the water where people routinely go to restaurants and park their boats on the pier. But boy! It started slooooow. It should not have taken me weeks to finish this one. Maybe because it's #1 in a series and Nancy Bush takes her sweet time introducing characters that will be pivotal in future books? Also, Jane and occasionally other characters behave in inexplicable ways, just to move the plot along. It's an odd book. Until about the 75% mark I was considering DNF-ing, and then it ended like a house afire.
3. What will you read next? I don't know.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.