4th of July Questions
1) If you could attend a 4th of July fireworks display anywhere in the United States, where would you choose? I hate to sound poopy, but I have no interest in watching the fireworks at a major event. I did that once, years and years ago. My friend Kathy and I went to Navy Pier to see the fireworks over Lake Michigan and they were pretty and all. But we had to get there really early – hours early – to be able to sit. On the cement. We were stuck there because if we got up we'd lose our place. On the cement. The show itself lasted 15 minutes. It was cool to see the colors reflected on the Lake. But it wasn't worth it. Where I live now, I can see the fireworks display from the suburb 3 miles southwest. All I have to do is look out my living room window. I know it's a mundane answer, but I'm good with this.
2) What book are you currently reading? Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz. It's 5th in this series of entertaining cozy mysteries about a quirky family of private investigators. I'm enjoying it immensely.
3) What have you been listening to? Lots o' podcasts, Cubs-Cardinals.
4) What shows or movies have you been watching? This weekend I'm going Presidential. I've found documentaries about FDR and JFK on Hulu. Then I'll watch Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. All these programs have two things in common: the participation of historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, who is my imaginary BFF, and they reassure me we can do better than the orange-hued convicted felon who tore down the East Wing and made a shit-ton on bitcoin.

Meet the Press today features DKG, Lonnie Bunch, and Ken Burns. I liked Lincoln when I saw it years ago. https://www.rogerogreen.com/2012/11/25/movie-review-lincoln/
ReplyDeleteI enjoy cozy mysteries - I should check out the series you mentioned!
ReplyDeleteI quite like firework displays - I haven't been to one for years though.
ReplyDelete:o)
Cheers
PM
I am with you on the fireworks displays. Our church used to have a really big one and I was also in my 20's. I loved it and had a great time. They had a B-2 fly over and that was really cool. I would never do that now. You really do have to be there hours before. We were in the grass and it was not horrible, but I wouldn't make it now.
ReplyDeleteI watched the Cubs/Cardinals for a bit last night until the fog delay. I have a friend from college that is up there watching. It has been an interesting trip so far. Their plane had a problem landing too and fire trucks were there. She is a Cub fan, so hopefully today is better for her. Loved your answers! Have a great day!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I have never been to a big fireworks show and I chose Boston because I enjoy listening to the Boston Pops' 1812 Overture with the fireworks display over the Charles River on tv. I don't know if I would get bored in person, though. At home, on TV, there are lots of distractions.
ReplyDeleteI've been to lots of fireworks shows outdoors and honestly, I prefer to watch something on TV in my living room. I used to have to go for the newspaper. There were mosquitoes, no place to sit unless you brought your own chair, people smoking, people letting dogs roam free so you stepped in dog poop - honestly, my recliner is the best place for me on July 4. Or December 31.
ReplyDeleteI just can't physically make the hike from where we'd have to park to watch a live fireworks show these days. My grandson and I were quite contented watching the celebration from Nashville on tv. The combination of fireworks and drones was pretty impressive.
ReplyDeleteHello. I joined in your Sunday Stealing questions. I enjoyed reading your answers. Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the Boston Pops and Nashville fireworks too. I also watched some of the Disney too and love when Lauren Daigle sang. We have been watching history programs too of great presidents of the past.
ReplyDelete