Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The Tough Conversation that Wasn't So Tough

Last Thursday I checked the store's online program and discovered that my name doesn't appear on the schedule after the 15th. Some people are working between the 15th through 31st, but not everyone ... and not me. I was concerned that this means I don't have a job anymore. While I would certainly understand this -- we have experienced a lull after Valentine's Day, and I was originally only hired through New Year's Day anyway -- I wanted to know the truth right away and was tempted to text my boss over the weekend but resisted. She was on vacation and deserved to unplug. 

But Monday, once she got in and got settled, I asked her about it. She apologized for any confusion and explained that, with the drop in business, she just can't support everyone. I have not been let go. Corporate expected this dip in sales and lowered the store's daily projections, so we aren't "in trouble" or going out of business. This is the nature of part-time retail work. I must learn the ways of this new world.

I told Ceecee I understand and reminded her that I'm flexible* and can come in with advance notice whenever she needs me. I was also happy to see that before I got in, before we had the conversation, she had added my name to two displays in the breakroom. I now have a paper flower on the decorative team board and my "birthday" (the day I started working there) is on the team calendar. She wouldn't have added me to those if I was on the way out.

I like this job. It can be fun and the extra money is nice. But I also like sleeping in and since my oral surgery and vacation are coming up, I'd have to take time off anyway. And don't forget: I'm lazy. So this is not the worst that could happen.

 
*Kinda. I still don't want to work Tuesdays, evenings or weekends.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

4 comments:

  1. I am glad everything worked out for you! I am going to a teacher conference in St. Louis over the summer and one of the sessions is having a tough conversation. Maybe I should take that one. Have a nice week. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are relieved to know you are still a part of the team!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the conversation wasn't as bad as you thought it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your store manager sounds like a very good boss. So glad you still have employment, even though things have slowed down. I'm sure they will pick up again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.