Sunday, October 29, 2023

RIP, Matthew Perry

 

Like Joey, I'll miss him

Chandler Bing got me through some tough times. In 2020, when I had covid and was scared ... ten years ago, when I was recovering from surgery and in discomfort ... those Friends marathons were a genuine comfort.

This past spring I read his memoir. It was unflinching and brave, and I admire him for writing it. He put a familiar and well-loved face on the disease of addiction.

This morning I'm more than sad. I'm angry. Conspiracy theorists are blaming his untimely death on -- wait for it -- the Covid vax. As though 40 years of alcohol abuse, 25 years of pills and a tobacco habit so powerful he was allowed to chain-smoke in the hospital didn't damage his heart, the vaccination did.

Matthew Perry wanted to be remembered as someone who helped people battling toward sobriety. To those who want to exploit his death for their hysterical, paranoid agenda, I say this with all sincerity: Fuck you.



3 comments:

  1. I am also very saddened by this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I hadn't seen any of that conspiracy stuff about him, but then I've been staying off the news. I love the way you speak out and say what needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't read the conspiracy theories. Not surprising though, given the anti-vax sources. I listened to the audiobook of Matthew's book last summer, and I also gained some respect for him and his forthright honesty about his life and struggles with addiction. His death is very sad indeed, but with all he put his body through with severe addiction, it is really not all that unexpected. RIP Chandler. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.