Saturday, July 22, 2023

One week and $38 later

Yesterday I took my Social Security form to the UPS Store. There'd been no word from the postal service about that envelope's whereabouts. I've been so fixated on how vulnerable a missing form containing my address, signature and SSN makes me to identity theft that I rather forgot it meant that Social Security doesn't have my forms.

I certainly wasn't going back to my local post office. I'd spent $8.80 for Ground Advantage and got nothing (literally) for my pains. When I checked USPS Tracking all I kept seeing was that my envelope was "received" 7/14. No movement, no updates as to its whereabouts.

So I turned to the UPS Store. I printed a cover letter, explaining to the lucky Social Security bureaucrat who receives it that this form was a duplicate, the original lost in the mail. And, of course, a new version of the form for me to sign. And then, of course, I had to have it sent with tracking and recipient signature. Total: $38.36. 

But I'm already getting notices from UPS, letting me know where my package is every step of the way. So it was worth it.

Except for this: As of 10:44 this morning, my original envelope somehow turned up. After a week of languishing somewhere, it's on its way to the Social Security Office. 

On the one hand, I've now spent $47 for a form to travel 12 miles. Which sucks.

On the other hand, it's good news. After all, it means no one is using my SSN to obtain a fake passport or a lease on a Ford Explorer from a dealership in Rancho Cucamonga. And that's not small.



3 comments:

  1. I don't understand how DeJoy is still in charge of the postal service. It has been terrible ever since he took over. I'm guessing for $47 you could have taken a cab that 12 miles and hand-delivered the paperwork yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offered to do that very thing! When I spoke to a representative at the local Social Security office, she very politely discouraged that. I'd have to make an appointment, even to drop something off (security concerns), and that would be weeks in the future.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got an update on the original form--that was nerve-wracking!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.