Friday, July 21, 2023

Five days and still no word

I hate the postal service. There's a form I had to return to Social Security. It has to be returned by mail -- no downloading, no fax. Naturally, since it's regarding Social Security, it includes my SSN.

I was uncomfortable mailing this. So instead of dropping it into a mailbox, I took it to the post office. I handed it to a clerk, who said it was going Ground Advantage. For $8.80, it would travel the 12 miles from my neighborhood to the local Social Security Office and would arrive in 2-5 business days. A signature would be required upon receipt. I had a tracking number.

Here we are, five days later, and according to USPS Tracking, my envelope has just been "received." There is no record of it moving from my local post office.

I called the #800 on the receipt. I said, "My envelope has been lost or stolen, hasn't it?"

No, I was told. It's likely just not been scanned for some reason. It's probably on its way.

Probably.

I was given a "case number" and was advised to call again Monday.

I called the Social Security office and asked if it had been received. Not yet. The representative I spoke to was exceptionally nice and understanding and told me they flagged my name/number and will call me if/when the envelope is delivered.

But here's the thing: my SSN, address and signature are floating around out there somewhere. Yes, I am certain I will be the victim of identity fraud because of this.

I am very, very stressed by this.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry that happened to you. I have never heard of ground advantage. Oh, I just read it is for packages. I would have used Priority Express or even Priority. Was it a flat large envelope? I used to work for the postal service, but not at the window. I am a victim of SS fraud. I think from when my wallet got stolen years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you have some word today that it has arrived safely. I would be stressed about it too. I hope it all turns out OK for you. I'm not quite old enough yet but anything having to do with Social Security or Medicare stresses me out to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything goes ok. I remember how horrible it was when someone unauthorized used my credit card. Not something I would wish on anyone. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's stressful! I hope it's simply slow service and not nefarious activity!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.