Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Thursday Thirteen #311

Thirteen benefits of yoga. In December I began attending yoga classes. I still don't enjoy doing it* but I'm always glad I did it. It's made a difference! And, after a little research, I realize I'm not imagining it. Yoga is beneficial to us because it ...

  1. Reduces stress. I can feel the stress almost drip from my fingertips as soon as I unroll my mat on the floor of that darkened room.
  2. Promotes relaxation. Even though my mind wanders and I privately dismiss some of the relaxation techniques as bullshit, I do always, always feel better once I'm done.
  3. Enhances mindfulness. OK, I used to file "mindfulness" under "bullshit." But I find that even when mind wanders during yoga, it wanders to positive and productive places. For example, at least once per class the instructor tells us to imagine we're on the mat for a loved one who can't be. That gets me thinking of my oldest friend or my dear friend Henry, and always with affection.
  4. Reduces inflammation, because it combines relaxation techniques with muscle movement.
  5. Improves flexibility. I'm nowhere near as stiff in the morning.
  6. Reduces chronic pain. It didn't occur to me until I began researching this post, but I don't think I'e had more than two headaches in 2023. (Hope this doesn't jinx it.)
  7. Enhances balance, which is important to me because of my bad back. Spinal stenosis has left me very "right dominant," and in the past I've been vulnerable to slips and falls. Between yoga and visits to the chiropractor, this just doesn't happen anymore.
  8. Improves the immune system. To be honest, I don't know that I've suffered fewer colds/flu since I began yoga, but maybe I'm not paying attention.
  9. Increases strength, because some poses require you to "hold your weight," and let's face it, my weight is considerable.
  10. Boosts heart health. Even though yoga doesn't have the same cardiovascular benefits as aerobic exercise, it's still does your heart some good.
  11. Enhances digestion because holding yoga poses can help straighten the midsection, and this can help with bloating and constipation. I love this.
  12. Facilitates effective breathing, because holding those poses increases oxygen flow.
  13. Improves your outlook. No, really! I feel better after class and miss it when I have to skip a week.

Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.


*The room is hot, I'm not very good at it, and my mind wanders.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you're enjoying the class. I am one of the few people to ever fail a local biofeedback class, so I get you on the mind wandering. Maybe it's a writer thing?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.