Friday, March 17, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: The Rocky Road to Dublin (2008)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a young man who leaves home to seek his fortune. How old were you when you first moved out on your own? 18. I loved that teeny-tiny apartment. I don't know that I could handle a third-floor walk up anymore, though! Traversing that spiral staircase with laundry or groceries was a challenge when I was a teenager.

2) He leaps onto a ship but the captain makes him sleep in the hold with pigs. Have you ever taken a cruise? (If so, we hope you had better accommodations.) I've never taken a cruise.
 
I took this myself! The closest I've ever been to HIM.
3) This recording of the song is by The High Kings. Well established in Ireland, their career reached new heights in March 2012. Right after playing for the Lord Mayor of London's St. Patrick's Day celebration, they flew to Washington to perform for President Obama at the White House St. Patrick's Day concert. Tell us about a time when you were so happy, you had to pinch yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming. Summer of 2011. Sir Paul McCartney played two nights at Wrigley Field and I was there both nights! My favorite person in my favorite place. The timing was very important to me. It was during my cancer scare which resulted in a hysterectomy (everything turned out to be, blessedly, benign) and I really needed the distraction and respite as I waited for my surgery to be scheduled.
 
4) This song was chosen because Friday was St. Patrick's Day. Do you celebrate this holiday? I have. I probably will again. But I didn't really this year.
 
5) Leprechauns are a symbol of St. Patrick's Day. These small Irish fairies are said to live in the forest, guarding their gold. Do you often wear gold? No. I prefer silver.

6) McDonald's has made Shamrock Shakes a St. Patrick's Day tradition. McDonald's began adding the drive-thru window to their restaurants in the 1970s. Would you rather order from the restaurant counter or the drive-thru? I don't have a car, so the drive-thru would be pretty dangerous.

7) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm? I did, but I lost it. Which made me very sad.
 
8) Thinking of Lucky Charms, they are magically delicious. What breakfast cereal is in your kitchen right now? I have oatmeal. Does that count?

  
9) Random question: Think of your upcoming week. Which day will be the busiest? I have something going on every day Saturday through Wednesday. Some of it fun (lunch with my nephew, celebrating Elaine's birthday), some of it not (dental checks for both me and my cat Connie). It's hard to say which day will be the busiest, or the most expensive.



9 comments:

  1. I have oatmeal for breakfast most mornings as well. I don't love it, but it's good for me. ;-) I lived at home until I got married at 19 - still pretty young. We lived in a student housing apartment at the university we were both attending. Sounds like you have a busy week planned. I have a few things on the calendar this week too, then the following break is spring break, so that is always something to look forward to. I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your week sounds really busy. It was this past week that was busy for me being on Spring Break. I went to the chiropractor, Josh had counseling, I got my hair cut and colored and Josh went back to work, so I took him to work every day. I read some good books too. I go back to work on Tuesday. Have fun this week! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 Yikes! A third floor walk up! I have a hard enough time going up one flight of stairs.
    #6 That reminded me when I was teenager we did a stop action movie. We were sitting on the grass with a steering wheel from a lawn tractors and a golf club as a stick shift and we were racing around the lawn talking one frame at a time… it was a good way to kill a summer afternoon.
    #8 Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Sir Paul at Citi Field in 2009. Great concert. Glad you got to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember #3! I was so happy you got to see Sir Paul in the midst of the uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In college I lived on the 7th floor and then the 8th floor and the elevator was always breaking down. I used to hike up and down those stairs all the time and never give it a thought. If I tried to do it now I'd probably have a heart attack before I got halfway there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oatmeal counts. I think I have some of that here, too, that I'd forgotten about. I wonder if it's still good? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:43 PM

    Hi, this is Zipp. I loved my tiny studio apartment, too. It had the cutest old fashioned cooking stove with curvy legs and an oven on the side of the burners.
    It’s wonderful that you got to see your Idol two days in a row. So FINE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you to get to see Sir Paul! Lucky Charms is fun cereal to eat. I don't buy it, but my grandson gave me some the last time I was at his house.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.