Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Thursday Thirteen #296


What I value. President Joe Biden has said, "Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." That quote is top of mind for me because when I uploaded my financial documents for the accountant, I noticed I gave to 23 charities in 2022.* This list of the 13 organizations I gave the most to (listed highest to lowest) does say something about me.

1. My church.

2. The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation. No surprise if you read this blog very often. Anthony Rizzo is my favorite-most baseball player of all time, and I pledged to donate every time he hit a home run. He hit 32 in 2022 during one of his best seasons. 

 

The funds help families battling pediatric cancer, reimbursing costs not covered by health insurance -- parking and meals at the hospital, rent and mortgage, etc. In 2022 he also took kids on outings to amusement parks in Chicagoland and Florida, and on a shopping spree at the FAO Schwarz flagship store in New York, and catered meals for hospital workers in the pediatric wards. Rizz survived cancer himself as a teen and uses what he and his family endured to inform where the money goes.

3. Harmony House for Cats. Chicago has a lot of animal shelters. I've chosen to devote my greatest efforts to this one. They do great work, but they don't get a lot of publicity.

4. My local food pantry. Because these are my neighbors. In addition to monthly cash contributions, I also throw a non-perishable ($1.10 or less) into my cart every time I go grocery shopping. Today it was a can of green beans (on sale for 69¢). Anyway, by doing that, I'm able to bring a bag of food over to the pantry in person every month without even feeling the cost.

5. Feeding America. This national organization supports food pantries and meal programs all across the country.

6. Doctors without Borders. If you're like me, you see stories about Ukraine, or the earthquake in Turkey and Syria, and you wonder, "What can I do?" Through my monthly donation to DWB, I am helping provide aid.

7. Greenpeace. I do this for my late mother. She worried about the impact of climate change on endangered species.

8. Planned Parenthood. I am personally opposed to abortion. But that is a decision arrived at through my faith, and I don't expect -- nor do I want -- every woman to believe as I do. Legislating one faith's tenet over any other is very UNAmerican. Secondarily, I want every child born to be wanted, and every woman to have access to reproductive healthcare.

9. The Night Ministry. The homeless are our neighbors. The Night Ministry supports them with food, shelter, and medical care.

10. PAWS Chicago. PAWS stands for Pets Are Worth Saving. I believe that, and so I support this organization. More than 95% of the animals that enter PAWS survive.

11. Tree House Animal Foundation. This Chicago humane organization has great PR, deservedly so. They are a model for no-kill shelters nationwide.

12. Goodwill. In 2023, I have committed to carrying gently used items to Goodwill once a month. In 2022, most of my support for this organization was monetary and to the national organization. Next year I'd like to see this one fall out of the Top 13, with the cash replaced by contributions of my gently used STUFF.

13. Colonial Williamburg Foundation. I know I can be a patriotic sap, but I believe knowing where we've been can help us decide where we want to go. And so I support Williamsburg. It really is a living museum.

Before you give to any charity, make sure it's worthy of your money. Check it out at Give.org.

*Don't be too impressed; all I gave to one of them was $4.

Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list of favorite places to help and support. Most of our charitable donations go to our church which has a host of world-wide humanitarian programs and well as local assistance for those in need, but I also support the food pantry with food donations and Samaritan's Purse with Operation Christmas Child, and of course we give donations to Goodwill and Deseret Industries (like Goodwill but run by our church). I have also supported St. Judes through Amazon, but I recently found out that Amazon is going to stop that program, which does not make me happy. I would actually end up buying items from Amazon because it would result in a donation to St. Judes. I wish we could do much more. I like this list of good charities and commend you for your support of Anthony Rizzo's foundation. I think I may have mentioned that one of my grandson battled brain cancer a few years back and foundations such as Rizzo's were a real godsend to my daughter's family. Great post. I need to look at for more charities we can assist, even in a small way. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I don't think I have 13 places I donate to, but I haven't counted them. 22 is a lot, even if it is just $4. It's the thought that counts. I'm fairly sure my biggest donations are to my alma mater, where I support a program that allows older women to return to college. Next up is probably the Rescue Mission that helps the homeless in the city. Or maybe my local library would be next in $$ value, they get all of my books, which they then resell for funds for their children's programs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list. Thank you for your words on reproductive care. As I'm not affiliated to any religion, I found what is happening very unjust and deeply wrong. Thank you for understanding. I wish more religious people were like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me think of local charities I support. I donate knitted hats and mittens to the homeless shelter (for kids as well as adults). And I buy a lot of socks for the Veteran's home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an impressive list.
    We can't give money, as we ourselves have just a little and some of our children need support now and then.
    When I need something I try and buy at a second hand shop of a charity that works for a better life for children all over the world.
    I hardly ever throw things away, I wear my clothes untill they can't be used anymore. If the children have clothes or shoes that they have outgrown it goes to the same charity.
    My contribution to society is a different one I try and give my knowledge and skills. I have always worked as a psychologist for free, so even the poorest people could get the best care, and I worked for a couple of charities.
    I now work in veteran care.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your sense and sensibilities! We mostly donate to local nonprofits and scholarship funds at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great list and definitely agree that this gives an insight into you as a warm person!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.