Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Compassion Challenge: Day 15

We did this as a congregation in 2021 and I'm doing it myself this year. My life feels different now than it did 365 days ago, and I hope this will keep me grounded and help me live my faith.

Inspiring Compassion: The 30 Day Compassion Challenge. 30 days to explore the topic of compassion: Mindfulness, Compassion for Friends & Family, Self-Compassion, Compassion for All, Compassion for Our Planet.

Day 15 was Mindfulness.

I admit I'm struggling right now. It seems I have something icky to do every day. Doctor appointments -- now that we seem to have my kidneys in shape, it's time to turn our attention to my pancreas and I'm scared. The dentist and the oral surgeon (two different teeth). Calls about my 401k rollover and annuities. Coordinating COBRA and Medicare. Follow-ups with Illinois Unemployment. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Connie's vet appointment!

I'm nervous about my fiscal and physical future. I'm facing a lot of unknowns here. I don't deal with unknowns well.

But you know what? I am not the only person in the world. I must be mindful of that.

Last night, Patrick called. He's the one who knows Henry and Reg best. We're spending Christmas together again in Key West. We admitted to one another that, with the precipitous decline in Henry's condition, this could be the last time. That weighs on us both.

At 68, Patrick is looking at a new job opportunity. A new restaurant is starting up during the busy Key West winter season and they want his input and help. It's exciting and flattering, but it's also a big responsibility and it will be physically taxing. 

He's trying to get past a bad relationship. He's making progress, but at times it washes over him that he was foolish. 

Last night, we listened to each other. 

I respect Patrick's insights and was comforted to hear what he had to say about my life. It was also good for me to get out of my own damn head for 45 minutes and talk about his.




3 comments:

  1. I would love to be friends with you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:53 PM

    RIZ IS BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish sometimes I could give you a hug.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.