Friday, October 07, 2022

It's time

I am wistful about my career ending on October 27, but I'm not sorry. It simply must be done on my agency's timeline, not mine, because I have 18 years there. In advertising we don't have a union, and in Illinois, retirement is tantamount to quitting. If I were to simply retire, I would leave 19 weeks of severance on the table. That's more than 4 months pay. I can't afford to walk away from that. The longer I put off collecting Social Security, the more I receive. 

I am not happy at my job. I don't approve of the way our clients are treated. I identify completely with my clients, but I work for agency management. It's the agency who pays me. I understand that with my attitude, and with the departure of my client, it's time to go.

via GIPHY

If money were no object, I would have retired back in January, when my boss Aaron left. He was a breath of fresh air. We were aligned in our approach to the job and to our teammates. But upper management and my new boss are completely different. I don't approve of them. Being as judgey as I am is not good -- not for me, not for them, and not for the work. So it's time.

But money is an object. Or, to be more precise, benefits are. I'm in the middle of expensive dental work and I just had a lithotripsy performed (see post below). I will be eligible for Medicare in a matter of weeks (November 1) but I don't want to switch insurance carriers midstream, as they say.

In the 18 years I was here, I've done some work I'm proud of. Even better for me personally, I've fought the good fight. I tried to be the voice of my client in the room. When many others were arguing for bigger, more outrageous, more audacious ideas, I was the one who said, "Wait! This may win us awards, but how does it move the client's business along?" Sometimes smaller, more conservative, tried-and-true was the better, more cost efficient bet. 

In closing, I invoke Joe Maddon. When he and the Cubs parted ways after the 2019 season, after 5 seasons, during which he managed my heroes in Cubbie blue to 4 playoff appearances and one incredibly glorious World Series, Joe said, "There's nothing to bemoan or lament. It's just time. It's been fabulous."


via GIPHY


4 comments:

  1. I think you have a pretty good attitude all things considered. Retirement is an adjustment, I am sure. I am hoping to retire in about four more years and so far, I am looking forward to it. I just want both hubby and I to stay healthy. Finances are always a consideration, of course. I used to think that everything would all "just work out" but now I realize that this whole retirement thing is going to take a lot of research to work out just the way we hope it will. Best wishes as you start a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now you have a date and can move forward from there. Recover from surgery first! Get the teeth taken care of as quickly as you can (I'm assuming you can stay on the company policy with COBRA for a while if you must.) Congratulations on a long and industrious career and doing something you obviously love and are good at. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still keep wondering what this new chapter will bring you. You're navigating ALL of this stuff with amazing grace, Gal. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a date. And I'm looking forward to your transition to this new phase.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.