Saturday, September 24, 2022

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: This Night Won't Last Forever (1979)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This song begins with, "Everybody likes a celebration." Do you have any birthdays or anniversaries coming up on your calendar? Today my nephew and I are celebrating his birthday. I got him former Cub manager Joe Maddon's autobiography. (It's been hard for me not to crack it open, since I want to read it, too!)
 
2) The lyrics tell us Michael Johnson is stuck at a party while his heart is breaking. He finds it awkward and painful to pretend there's nothing wrong. Are you adept at "putting a good face on it?" Or is it easy for others to tell how you're feeling? I have been playing hurt lately. I have (in the doctor's words) "a big honking kidney stone," which is painful. Plus, there's a shit ton of upheaval at work. But I'm working hard to put a good face on it. I'm not always successful -- pain can be hard to work through -- but I can appear very upbeat and chipper for a couple hours at a time. (Though this week I did suffer an epic fail in this regard. See post below.)

3) Michael feels like this is going to be a long night. Is there a part of your day when time tends to drag? Or when it flies? Sometimes the late afternoon drags. If I find myself awake after midnight, that can zoom by.
 
4) As bad as he feels right now, he's still hopeful about tomorrow. What are you looking forward to for Sunday? I should rest. I'm still not well.
 
5) When he was 13, Michael taught himself to play the guitar. He went on to take formal lessons and mastered classical guitar. What's something you would like learn more about/do better? Spanish. Learning another language would expand my world!
 
6) For a time he performed with a trio known as Denver, Boise & Johnson. The Denver was John. Do you have a favorite John Denver song? I don't really care for John Denver. I know, I know, he's much beloved. I'm sure it's me and not him. That said, I have good memories attached to hearing "Rocky Mountain High."
 
7) He retired to Minneapolis to be near his adult daughter. But he never stopped performing entirely. For years he delighted loyal local fans with with an annual holiday concert on December 26 at Orchestra Hall. Is there a performer you've seen in concert more than once? Sir Paul. Bruce. I've never seen them together. What a treat that would be!

8) In 1979, when this song was popular, the cable channel ESPN launched. What's the last sporting event that you watched? Baseball. As we approach the play-offs, baseball is everything to me! Here are the Yankees clinching their berth. That's my favorite, Anthony Rizzo, right in the middle. As much as I hate it that the Cubs traded him, I'm delighted for him. Had he stayed in Chicago, there would be no similar celebration for him. The Cubs won't be looking at the playoffs again for a long time.
 
There's also Albert Pujols and Aaron Judge and their big bats to watch. This is a very good time to enjoy America's pasttime.
 

9) Random question: Do you play Wordle? Every morning. If I get it right away, I feel brilliant. If I don't, well, it's humbling. I mean, I'm a writer, after all!



 

8 comments:

  1. I would be overwhelmed with emotion to see Sir Paul and The Boss together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Wordle and play it most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 One of my technicians always had Kidney Stones and I could see how painful they are.
    #3 Tonight is an OTC sleep pill night, I have to drive home tomorrow so I need a good night sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just broke my streak of 94 wins yesterday. Not because I missed the word but because I forgot to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I stayed up and got to see Albert hit #700! This has been a fun season to watch. I don't even know what the Cardinals will look like without Yadi. I can't think about it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a John Denver fan, eh? Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a nice day with your nephew. Did he like his present?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A couple of Working class Lads, those two... What a great snap. Hope you can rest as comfortably as possible until that monster stone is gone. OUCH! John Denver wrote well, but his voice was a little "drifty". He would switch keys when ever it was more convenient. One of my informal guitar class "leaders" pointed that out.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.