Sunday, September 18, 2022

Look how good our seats were!


 On Friday, my nephew accompanied me to my first/only 2022 game at Wrigley Field. It was a beautiful day, just about 80ยบ and, as you can see, clear and sunny. Our ace, Marcus Stroman, has struggled at home and I was happy to be there for his first victory within The Friendly Confines. He deserved it! He's pitched well all year and for some reason, the bats just stay asleep when he's on the mound. Even Friday, the score was 2-1. 

I was, of course, wearing my #44 Anthony Rizzo shirt. Friday was my first time back since he was so cruelly wrested from us traded, and I had to represent for him. As did my nephew and the gazillion other fans wearing #44. But it occurred to me that wearing my Cubbie shirt and carrying my Cubbie purse, it may be a bit much for a 64-year-old woman. Where's my dignity? Oh, well, screw it. The Cubs make me happy.

So does my nephew. He is so intensely, fabulously nerdy about baseball. I am the one who introduced him to the game but wow, the student has far surpassed the teacher. I love talking to him. First of all, he never gets bored with all my baseball talk, like just about every other person I know does. Secondly, we laugh at all the same things. And he's getting into solo McCartney! When we weren't talking about Anthony Rizzo and/or the Cubs, we were talking Sir Paul. My ideal conversationalist. 

He's 21 now -- 22 in a matter of weeks -- and I've noticed that as he's moved from adolescent to man, he's become more affectionate. When I told him that Henry was in the hospital again, he awkwardly hugged me. It was sweet.



3 comments:

  1. I cherish your relationship and appreciate how he's grown from the awkward kid to young man. What a special bond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good relationship to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that you've been able to build a Cub fan out of a cub in your family. Right ON, Auntie Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.