Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Thursday Thirteen #271

Gas prices high enough to make you drink. Let me preface this by stating plainly that I don't drive. But I know gas prices must be important to those who do because of all the talk I hear. I recall riding in an elevator, in a hospital en route to visit my mom in the ICU, and that's what I heard another family complaining about. It stayed with me. I thought, "Imagine, your loved one is in Intensive Care and you're concerned about gas prices!"

My favorite ballplayer, Anthony Rizzo, spearheads a charity that helps families of children fighting pediatric cancer. One of the top requests he gets these days is for gas cards. So many families have to drive a long distance to get to a hospital for their kid's treatment, and the cost can be crippling.

So with that in mind, I have researched gas prices. Here's the average national ppg of regular, unleaded, over the past 13 years. I know this month they have been dipping a bit, and I hope you drivers are feeling a little relief.

1. July 2021: 5.03

2. July 2020: 3.15

3. July 2020: 2.70

4. July 2019: 2.80

5. July 2018: 2.98

7. July 2017: 2.50

8. July 2016: 2.38

9. July 2015: 2.55

10. July 2014: 3.75

11. July 2013: 3.63

12. July 2012: 3.69

13. July 2011: 3.70

BTW, adjusted for inflation, $3.70 in July 2011 would be $4.81 today.

Here's an inflation calculation, if you'd like to continue playing with the numbers.


Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Good list. Gas has come down, and it was never $5.03 here, that I saw, but we live in a place that has a lower cost of living than others. It does hit the pocketbook, but it's no less significant than a $2.00 rise in the cost of mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go down to those 2017 numbers without adjusting for inflation! I drive. Where I live, public transportation is not common unless you need to drive downtown every day for work, and still there are many who won't use it. We don't have subways, so if you want to go somewhere, you will need to drive. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m old so I remember getting several gallons for a buck. I doubt we’ll ever again see less than $4/gallon in our part of California with all our extra gas taxes. I’m fine with that.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.