Friday, April 08, 2022

"When I'm 64 ..."

I am a 64 year old woman who has had a really bad week. First I had my second booster (4th shot). I'm glad I got it. I'm grateful that the vaccine is effective, available and free. But I did lose a day because I had a reaction to this shot -- chills and a fever. Looking at the bright side, by getting the shot when I did, I'll be fully protected for my trip to Los Angeles later in the month.

Then I lost the crown from a molar. It just popped out. Another tooth! My dentist is referring me to an oral surgeon to have it removed. That's in addition to the $5,000+ I have to spend on an implant. All this dental work begins in earnest next Friday.

But these two teeth are just the beginning. My dentist just gave me a two page (2 pages!) treatment plan for saving five additional teeth he believes I'm at risk for losing. His estimated cost: more than $12,000. That is after insurance.

In all, we're talking about approximately $20,000. For. My. Teeth. I am desolate about this.

Also this week, at work I met Alex. I believe he is going to be the new head of the creative department, though his presence in all my meetings wasn't explained. He and I did not hit it off. At all. I don't want to relive it, but we were oil and water. It occurs to me that it's likely time for me to hang up my spurs. It's normal for Alex to want to put his own team in place. I would take my departure peacefully, as the natural order of things, the way spring transitions to summer, except ...

My mutual funds aren't worth as much as they were on December 31. I know, no one's are. But not everyone is 64. People in their 50s have time to wait for the stock market to recover. I will likely need those diminished funds sooner rather than later. I would prefer to not be without a salary and group dental insurance just now.

So right now, I'm feeling every minute of my 64 years. And I don't like it.

3 comments:

  1. You did have a bad week. I'm sorry. It angers me that our health care is so sorry that people can't get dental care without going bankrupt. Or other healthcare. Around here, people put on cake sales (and now use gofundme) to pay for health care. It is so sad! I hope the dude you didn't get along with isn't going to be your boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have had quite the negative week. I hope next week brings better news. I am 62 and plan to retire in four years. We are starting to get ready for that eventuality now. Hubby has been retired for a couple of years now. I always say that aging is not for the faint of heart, but it is better than the alternative. I do hope things look up for you soon. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! What a shitty week. I hope you can rest and relax and rejuvenate this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.