Saturday, March 12, 2022

The Sunday Salon


 

I belong to a classic film group. Every week our moderator chooses a movie and then we get together via Zoom to discuss it. We just watched Unfaithfully Yours, a 1948 romantic comedy about an imperious conductor and his younger wife, whom he believes is cheating. It seems everyone had something glowing to say about it.

"I loved it!" "I watched it twice." "One of my favorites!"

I hated it. I thought the conductor was an overbearing narcissist and, while I never for a moment believed his wife was unfaithful, I wouldn't have blamed her if she was.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever seen something, or read something, that absolutely everyone is raving about so you wondered if somehow you got a different copy?

I made progress on the biography I'm reading: Lady Bird and Lyndon by Betty Caroli. I'm very ambivalent about LBJ. His work on civil rights and Medicare was spectacular and truly life changing. Vietnam? What a painful chapter that was! Anyway, as I make my way through 480 pages, I'm surprised anew by how quickly Lady Bird fell in love with him and how committed she remained. She was 22 -- a financially independent new college grad starting out on life -- when she was fixed up with the 26-year-old politician. Three months later they married. It was the most impulsive thing this cautious woman would ever do in her life, but she never looked back, never wavered. 

I gotta tell you: I don't get it. Bird was so smart, a natural businesswoman. She also had tremendous people skills. Except for a stepmother she didn't trust, it doesn't seem she made any real enemies throughout her entire life. Yet she seemed to feel lucky to have married this man! I think he married up. A friend's mom used to advise us: girls, there's a lid for every pot. Maybe she was right, and these two were made for each other. At any rate, I think LBJ hit the jackpot when he went on that blind brunch date with Bird.

Do you believe there's someone for everyone?

Check out other Sunday Salon participants here.



7 comments:

  1. A pot for every lid - I like that! Your thoughts on Lady Bird intrigued me. I don't know enough about them to comment, but you sure piqued my interest! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is someone for everyone. I knew when I met my husband that I would marry him - sometimes you just know - but I don't think that happens often. We watched Spielberg's West Side Story last night and this morning some of the screenplay writers and others I follow on FB were raving about it. While I thought it had lots of good points, overall, I didn't care for it, and generally I like musicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too. It was like a voice in my head or something.

      Delete
  3. I think she married up, too. So young to make the decision so quickly! (Who am I to judge? I marrried at 18....once upon a time) Sometimes, though, women know more than they let on and deal with it in their own quiet way. She was too smart and intuitive not to see it all. She surely learned more as the years went by. Love. A mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndon Johnson did an amazing amount of good for the world, but he was a very sketchy fellow at times. I agree; Lady Bird married up.

    My sister and her husband and my husband and I all have a Sunday evening film club. One person picks the film each week. We are generally in agreement about the film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never really liked LBJ. I guess I didn’t like the way he treated people when he had any power. But he probably was just the right person to exact changes in the civil rights issues.
    I didn’t believe that there was a person for me, but knew right away when I met him that this man was “The One” for me.
    He was my first, ever, boy friend. We’ve been together for nearly 59 years. Honestly, this seems to be very rare, from the experience in the rest of my friends and family. So many break-ups. 🥺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I believe there's at least someone (multiple people) for everyone. But you have to work hard to meet people and be out there. They don't ring the doorbell. Speaking of someone, I am THRILLED Anthony's back with the Yanks. Don't worry, we'll take good care of him!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.