Sunday, January 23, 2022

A most happy moment

I admit we're not this good looking
My nephew is now an apprentice writer for a baseball website. He will be a full-time staffer after he graduates from college this spring. When he told me about the job, he thanked me for being the one who introduced him to baseball. It was a big moment for me. 

I just found one of his first articles on line. It's about US. Him and me. OK, not really. The article entertained ways MLB could grow their fanbase among a new generation of fans, and my nephew's suggestion is that the league get more involved in intramural sports. He used himself as an example, recalling how, when he was 7, his aunt explained baseball stats to him and showed him how to follow the Cubs in the Sunday paper. Then this aunt took him to his first game was he was 10. Alas, there was no place for him to indulge his enthusiasm for the sport, since his community kept promoting soccer.* Perhaps if MLB threw more money and attention to children, it would reap great rewards in terms of interest, TV ratings, and ticket sales.

I am awesomely pleased. I am reminded of how, in 1964, my favorite uncle introduced 6-year-old me to the Beatles and gave me the soundtrack to my life. I feel like I have paid that forward. I also often wonder how, as a single and childless woman, my life has mattered. I realize I had a lasting impact without really intending to.

Two sentences out of a 300 word article. It's not a lot, but it's everything.

*Auntie's note: He wasn't really very good at it. Could it be he, like me, is not a natural athlete? Or maybe he just truly didn't care for the sport.

4 comments:

  1. How cool is that. It must be so wonderful to have a young person honor you like that. What an amazing influence you have been on his life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thrill to have your nephew pursue this--and to know he credits you with his love of baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way cool. Well done, auntie! I hope someday I feel like I've influenced somebody somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gal, it IS everything!! I love that your interest/love of the sport really resonated with him and that he wrote IN PRINT (screen) how it did. This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments that you cherish, isn't it? I admit, I squeeed at your post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.